PDA

View Full Version : AVG 8

Joan
23-05-2008, 06:48 PM
I have AVG free 7.5 and have to change to AVG 8 after the 31st of May for which I have to pay. Can anybody advise me if the free version of AVG 8 is okay or is Avast a better option?

Thanks for your reply.
Joan

stu161204
23-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I have AVG free 7.5 and have to change to AVG 8 after the 31st of May for which I have to pay.

You donít have to pay for AVG 8.0 :)

Can anybody advise me if the free version of AVG 8 is okay or is Avast a better option?

You can give it a try & see what its like ( I head it does not check e-mails any more, but I am unsure if thatís true)

beeswax34
23-05-2008, 07:44 PM
I'd go for Avast and YES, it does check emails.

Nothing has changed since 4.7

jinja_thom
23-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Avg 7.5 will be OK untill 31 December contrary to the notices that popup during updates. Avg 8 works fine on a permanent broadband connection but will not initiate a dialup for the purpose of updating at this point in time. I received an email from their support team sying that the automatic dialup update facility will be ready soon and available in the next program update. I've been using the free version of 8 on a cable broadband connection for about 3 weeks and had no problems with it.

jinja_thom
23-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Further to my previous avg 8 no longer has an animated icon indicating it is checking email but it still checks it and adds the notice as before. It also has no screen image during update but then does it really matter as long as it works. It does indicate failure by placing an exclamation mark on its tray icon.

tweak'e
24-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Further to my previous avg 8 no longer has an animated icon indicating it is checking email but it still checks it and adds the notice as before.........
has the usual splash screen, just like prevoius vers. its a bit of a pain because it stays up long after downloading emails has completed. however if it downloads emails very quickly the splash screen dosn't get time to popup s you do not get to see it.

AVG 8 is paid, AVG 8 FREE is....well... free. seems to do the job ok. has antispyware built in. only thing thats extremly annoying.....is the fricken huge file size. if on dailup i would look at others.

linw
24-05-2008, 01:37 PM
Avg 7.5 will be OK untill 31 December contrary to the notices that popup during updates. Avg 8 works fine on a permanent broadband connection but will not initiate a dialup for the purpose of updating at this point in time. I received an email from their support team sying that the automatic dialup update facility will be ready soon and available in the next program update. I've been using the free version of 8 on a cable broadband connection for about 3 weeks and had no problems with it.

Ah, that explains why my friend on dial-up said it wouldn't update! Thanks for the headsup.

SurferJoe46
25-05-2008, 08:57 AM
The AVG Free v8.0 is great...but disable the site scanner if you already have SiteAdviser..they will double up on each other and take a long time to paint the browser/search results page until they are both done telling what's safe and not.

I am on DSL and have a good friend on dial-up..they both seem to work well although it does indeed take a while longer to get updates on dial.

As an aside, I no longer get the update window..it seems to happen in the background with no indication that it is happening at all any more. That's good and bad I think...but I can live with it.

In a slower machine it might be "felt" as it scans or updates...but with much more than a .800 GHz system, it should be almost invisible. I notice it will NOT be supportive of 95, 98, or 98SE any more and maybe not even 2000 or ME.

The v8.0 is very inclusive and has a lot more free things in it than the older version had...or so it looks to me anyway.

At any rate, AVG just gets better and better. I have completely dropped all the COMODO stuff I had and I like the speed that I re-gained.

I am also seriously considering dropping SpyBot S&D (Sorry Patric Kolla; you're a nice guy and all..but I think the long malware list has gotten the best of you as it has with Norton.) as it is huge and getting harder and harder to get a decent scan time any more. It just grinds on and on and on...it's good but very slow.