PDA

View Full Version : Is someone trying to scam me? Internet service help.

stellar
23-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey everyone im stellar, im 21 and im from AKL. Yep im new too.

Anyways i have a problem it could be serious but im not sure. Ok so here goes.

Last Week on Tuesday night i had a guy ring me whom i presumed was from my ISP (slingshot) because he asked if i wanted to switch to broadband. Iv been on dial up since i got rid of my Vodem and iv been meaning to switch to broadband anyway so i told him Yes i did want broadband. He told me it was only $4 (or $6) extra per week with a free modem. Sounded good so i accepted. He asked for my phone bill account number and my address etc. and he said my modem will be couriered to me with 3-5 working days.

Its been 8 working days so far.

So....I rung up slingshot and told them that i switched to broadband last week and i havnt recieved my modem yet. They checked up on it and they said they have no record of my plan changing and nobody rung me last tuesday night from slingshot.

WHAT????!!! OK what is going on! When i think back to my conversation last week i cant actually remember if he said he was from slingshot or not. He did not say where he was from so i just presumed he was from slingshot. He seemed genuine and he knew what he was talking about as i did ask him several questions and broadband.

I really want to know what is going on...would anyone know?? Is this somebody trying to scam me? And if so, what can he do with the details iv given him...?

I thought maybe it is telecom but why would they be wanted me to switch to broadband if i dont even have dial up with them?

Im soooo confused and lost. I should have just said no and rung up slingshot a different time to get broadband. Someone heellpp....

Trev
23-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Well nothing has happened. You haven't lost or handed over any money, so I would just forget about it. Whoever it was, if they were sincere and genuine they would of contacted you by now.
:)

stellar
23-05-2008, 01:01 PM
ok yeah that is true. the only information they have is my phone bill account number which cant be used in any way really. Thanks phew.

stu161204
23-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I think Trev coved most of what I was going to say, apart from never trust anyone phoning about a service,

If you’re unsure what company they are phoning for ask them & if you still don’t trust them, say you will ring the company your self.

Also make sure you get there name.

Just lean from this lesson ;)

Welcome to PressF1 :)

the_bogan
23-05-2008, 01:14 PM
If you're feeling paranoid, I guess they could act as you to switch/add phone companies. May pay to check your phone company to see if you've called them lately.

stellar
23-05-2008, 01:25 PM
thanks guys. Yeah iam still kinda paranoid but i just want to know what this person is up to. I will keep an eye on my phone bill too. Thanks.

Bantu
23-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I have had several calls from Slingshot lately. They are starting to piss me off big time. They don't exactly get a warm welcome when I hear the word slingshot but they are persistent.

Their telemarketers either have it in for me or it is some scam.

Murray P
23-05-2008, 01:51 PM
As above, nothing has happened so no harm done, thus far.

But you did give a stranger you name, address, and an account number (they already had your telephone number). With that info they can open a bank account in your name, they could then conceivably apply for a birth certiifcate cop and a drivers licence, all in your name.

Never give out account details without first being absolutely sure of who you are talking to. It pays to have some sort of written confirmation (an email will do, you can check the headers for authenticity) before taking that next step.

robbyp
23-05-2008, 03:12 PM
As above, nothing has happened so no harm done, thus far.

But you did give a stranger you name, address, and an account number (they already had your telephone number). With that info they can open a bank account in your name, they could then conceivably apply for a birth certiifcate cop and a drivers licence, all in your name.

Never give out account details without first being absolutely sure of who you are talking to. It pays to have some sort of written confirmation (an email will do, you can check the headers for authenticity) before taking that next step.

A lot of these ISPs use indian call centres to cold call people, and they block the caller ID, so you really have no way to know whether they are legit. I wouldn't be surprised if it was slingshot, and they just don't yet have a record of it. They are that inefficient from my experience with them.

pctek
23-05-2008, 04:13 PM
When i think back to my conversation last week i cant actually remember if he said he was from slingshot or not.

I thought maybe it is telecom but why would they be wanted me to switch to broadband if i dont even have dial up with them?

Well that was silly, why didn't you check?

Because they get money from you.

Greg
23-05-2008, 04:19 PM
the only information they have is my phone bill account number which cant be used in any way really.
If your phone bill number is your Telecom account number, then yes there's a real possibility that it can be put to fraudulent use.

stellar
23-05-2008, 04:36 PM
holy crap...oh well i dont give a shti...i was stupid and gave them my details so i guess ill pay the price. And plus its me of course this is gunna happen cz bad things always happen to me.

Murray P
23-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Simply alert the company you hold the account with and have the account changed. That will at least distance you to an extent from any nefarious activity.

Agent_24
23-05-2008, 05:10 PM
It might pay to tell your phone company that someone may have got your account number - that way they may be more likely to stop any fraudulent activity rather than just telling you to pay for someone else's bill