PDA

View Full Version : rundll.exe error ? related to SP3

paulb
22-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Hi
I have a 2.53MHz Pentium IV comuter with ASUS motherboard, Nvidia Ti4200 graphics card and Windows XP SP3. I recently downloaded SP3 and am having all sorts of problems, eg. Google Desktop won't work (a common problem I believe). But my main issue is that I can not open Add/Remove Programs through Control Panel as I keep getting this error:
"Windows cannot find C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe ..... " I've looked for this in the WINDOWS System 32 file and can't see it and can't find it on the Windows install disc either.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Thanks
Paul

Jen
22-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Paul,

Have a try with this advice (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812340).

wainuitech
22-05-2008, 09:50 PM
By any chance do you have Spyware doctor installed - if so :

The problem is with Spyware Doctors latest definations - there has been a lot written yesterday- Spyware Doctor is detecting C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RUNDLL32.EXE as a bug when infact its not.

right click on the spyware doctor icon in the task bar by the clock, select disable on Guard, run the smart update then reboot, and it should fix it.

paulb
23-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Thanks Jen
I tried the advice in the link but got an error saying there was no program to open to file and to file assossiations ... hmmm
Where to next?

paulb
23-05-2008, 04:53 PM
oh, and yes, i do have Spyware Doctor. I did as suggested.
I don't think I have a valid rundll32.exe file installed now?

wainuitech
23-05-2008, 05:00 PM
It should be there, spyware doctor only stops it from running, What error messages are you getting, & at what point of booting now that Spyware Doctor has been updated.

What you can also do is have your XP CD handy, click start/run then type in sfc /scannow, ( note space between c /s )Press Enter - that will run through the windows files looking for missing/damaged files, it will ask for your windows CD if it needs it