PDA

View Full Version : Tax Cuts

SolMiester
22-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Yay, now I can officially go buy a block of cheese!

memphis
22-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Yeah until they raise the price on it again!!!

tutaenui
22-05-2008, 07:17 PM

you better get in quick before the food police ban it!

SolMiester
22-05-2008, 07:27 PM
I wonder what the % increase is of government expenses since MMP came in. Cullen goes on about not having enough money in the budget for police health education etc, yet pulls one out of the bag in election year.

Do you think he believes MMP has been good for NZ, is the increase for government lackies worth it? Forget that question, of course he thinks its worth it, he would be an MP if it wasnt for list MP's....

robbyp
22-05-2008, 08:25 PM
I wonder what the % increase is of government expenses since MMP came in. Cullen goes on about not having enough money in the budget for police health education etc, yet pulls one out of the bag in election year.

Do you think he believes MMP has been good for NZ, is the increase for government lackies worth it? Forget that question, of course he thinks its worth it, he would be an MP if it wasnt for list MP's....

They are now calling this budget the 'cheese' budget, as all the average tax cut will buy is a block of cheese. Unlike the 2005 budget, which was the 'chewing gum' budget. I wonder if this will make up more peoples minds about moving to Oz.

Marnie
22-05-2008, 09:53 PM
They are now calling this budget the 'cheese' budget, as all the average tax cut will buy is a block of cheese. Unlike the 2005 budget, which was the 'chewing gum' budget. I wonder if this will make up more peoples minds about moving to Oz.

I think all of his previous budgets were "Stiff Cheese" budgets.

SolMiester
22-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I think all of his previous budgets were "Stiff Cheese" budgets.

LOL

Roscoe
23-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I still think that tax cuts should include removing some of the tax on petrol. Everything is dependent on that price. How about dropping the tax cut from the present 50% to at least half that. Hopefully that might slow inflation just a wee bit?

SolMiester
23-05-2008, 08:06 AM
You know, I wonder how much the government spend on themselves?.......what is the % increase year on year & since we increased the number of MP by 50% since MMP came in.
Did NZ get value for money?.......

Why does Cullen go on about 3.5 billion loss from the tax cuts when he gets several billion dollar surpluses every year?

SolMiester
23-05-2008, 08:34 AM
Tax Cuts

NZ AUS

0 - 14k = 12.5% 0 - 6k = 0%
- 40k = 21% - 35K = 15%
- 70k = 33% - 80k = 30%
- over = 39% - 180k = 40%
180k+ = 45%

pctek
23-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Loads of whinging occurred - I want tax cuts, I want tax cuts.
So now there is.

The problem with tax cuts is there is a fixed amount of money.
Look at it like your household income.

You can take money from food or entertainment to pay more to petrol or the mortgage. But its just shuffling it round.

Ditto tax.

A measly cheese amount for everyone adds up to a reasonable sum of money overall.

Roscoe
23-05-2008, 09:40 AM
You know, I wonder how much the government spend on themselves?.......what is the % increase year on year & since we increased the number of MP by 50% since MMP came in.
Did NZ get value for money?.......

Why does Cullen go on about 3.5 billion loss from the tax cuts when he gets several billion dollar surpluses every year?

How much do they spend on themselves? A flock of new BMWs for one. We can't afford a second-hand Beamer let alone half fill it with petrol! Free air travel, overseas trips (isn't it a bugger when you have to apply for a new passport because your old one is full!) and no requirement to work a full year - in fact I do believe that in some instances you may not even have to turn up for work. Hell, life in parliament must be tough!

They earn much, much more than the average wage, plus all the perks - and they vote themselves more when feeling the pinch. Have you seen the price of caviar and champagne (Mot et Chardon, of course) these days? Shocking!:angry

notechyet
23-05-2008, 10:03 AM
National want to show off with a big spend up impression(think big now, pay later!)
I just can't forget "Muldoon's technique" and that he just about got us all bankrupt.

Thebananamonkey
23-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Loads of whinging occurred - I want tax cuts, I want tax cuts.
So now there is.

The problem with tax cuts is there is a fixed amount of money.
Look at it like your household income.

You can take money from food or entertainment to pay more to petrol or the mortgage. But its just shuffling it round.

Ditto tax.

A measly cheese amount for everyone adds up to a reasonable sum of money overall.

Seconded.

I'd rather miss my block of cheese, and have the govt pay however hundreds of millions to a better cause. Maybe sending me to a proper university in the UK? Yes please?

SolMiester
23-05-2008, 12:08 PM
National want to show off with a big spend up impression(think big now, pay later!)
I just can't forget "Muldoon's technique" and that he just about got us all bankrupt.

Muldoon?....thats like 30 years ago.....we had to put up with Labour's Rogernomics since then.Anything that Muldoon introduced is well and truly finished!

We could go back further if you like to some of the balls ups of the Labour party?!

Do you always judge current situations on historic events?

Oh, and as for the best finance minister on your signature, I take it you are having a laugh, cause if you arent, I cant possible take you seriously.

If Cullen was ever within 2 feet of me, I'd slap the arrogant POS, he has caused all sorts of sh*t for thousands of small businesses and he wasn't even voted into parliament.

rob_on_guitar
23-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Them tax cuts were a waste of time. Better then nothing but only just.
Cant wait to see Labour get its ass kicked!

andrew93
23-05-2008, 07:45 PM
notechyet's signature is funny yet partially true. If you consider 8 years a long time then cullen has been the only finance minister in that time and wins by default! IMO he is the worst finance minister NZ has ever had.

This round of tax cuts is a blatant attempt at buying votes. Over the past 8 years we have had cullen wringing his hands saying we couldn't afford tax cuts out of one side of his mouth, and then announcing record surpluses out of the other! We have been over-taxed for too long - make sure you take it out on the labour party in the upcoming election! And his methods of accounting leave a lot to be desired and it appears local government have also taken up the (mis-informed) mantra that capital projects must be funded out of operating budgets - whatever happened to matching the funding to the benefits? Isn't that what user pays was about? He is a dangerous misinformed idealogue.

Digby
23-05-2008, 08:30 PM
I was very disappointed with the budget.

The tax cuts are good.

But he should have made them years ago when they would have encouraged new zealanders and businesses. Now it is just an attempted election bribe.

But he did nothing to...

1) Increase our GDP
2) Encourage companies and exporters
3) Help to raise our wages to catch up OZ
4) Stop people leaving for OZ
5) Decrease all the bludgers

rob_on_guitar
24-05-2008, 07:53 AM
The cuts were crap because it has been so long, if he had done that earlier then there wouldnt have been a uge dissappointment.

My violent thoughts cant even come up with the hatred for Clarke & co yet.

Cicero
25-05-2008, 10:27 AM

The tax cuts are good.

But he should have made them years ago when they would have encouraged new zealanders and businesses. Now it is just an attempted election bribe.

But he did nothing to...

1) Increase our GDP
Lets hope Dig,that most kiwis agree and thrash these excuses for people and send them into oblivion at the elections.

robbyp
25-05-2008, 02:37 PM

The tax cuts are good.

But he did nothing to...

1) Increase our GDP

It has been done to most benefit the typical labour voter. Labour voters are usually Average to low wage families, Beneficeries, Students and the elderly, and the budget benefits these people. By introducing a new tax rate, they are making things more confusing, and the younger single person or couple without kids end up paying the most taxes, and get the smallest amount back. These are the peolpe who are leaving to live in Oz or elsewhere , but are the people that NZ can not afford to lose, as they pay the most taxes and aren't a drain on the welfare.

The tax cuts are only going to increase inflation, which will mean that interest rates will stay up for longer, so home owners are going to continue to hurt.

rob_on_guitar
25-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I cant wait to leave NZ sometimes. This stuff only adds to it.

Graham L
25-05-2008, 03:08 PM
You're not supposed to buy a block of cheese; you're expected to pay the debt you incurred to buy the last block of cheese.

rob_on_guitar
25-05-2008, 03:14 PM
You know what happens when you have too much cheese.....

robbyp
25-05-2008, 03:44 PM

NZ is a great country to be retired in, but for your average waged person, it is very tough at the moment. It is currently better to live overseas and accumelate a good amount of savings from the higher paid overseas jobs, then come back to NZ to retire.

Scouse
25-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by rob_on_guitar

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1990807/Two-million-Britons-emigrate-in-10-years.html

Digby
25-05-2008, 07:06 PM
But he did nothing to...

1) Increase our GDP

And I should have added

6) Reduce our very high interest rates
7) Reduce the cost of housing, ie permits, rma, monopolies, etc

lakewoodlady
25-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Well, some people want everything on a silver platter and at the same time ignore all the poor and underpaid.

limepile
25-05-2008, 08:05 PM
If there was a govt with balls there would be so much work in this country there would be no poor or underpaid.
I'm for no taxes, I'm more than capable of spending my own money I don't need Cullens help.( I'd invest every penny I could lay my hands on..most of this financial woe we are in at the moment is caused by peoples own stupidity by living off of credit and buying champagne on a beer budget .)
And as far as silver platters go, its all the bludgers that get the cream, us working people just want to keep what is ours.

Nomad
27-05-2008, 09:31 PM
If people want a tax cut ... one less coffee per day and there is a tax cut for themselves.

Its the same old .. moan and complain blah blah. This may be what NZ is, money is not infinite, NZ can be said to be more laid back .. If NZ is not preferred then go elsewhere, myself included. You have a small country that is not wealthy with high interest rate how are you going to attract investors in NZ apart from niches and you have a strong welfare system. That's a personal call, some may say, welfare is good, that should be the focus in NZ while others disagree ..... But money is not unlimited.. You have to pay it one way or the other.

If we all were willing there are ways to cut down .. without even tax cuts. Where available, public transportation, packed lunches, home cooking, no unnecessary shopping and going out more than the occasion etc etc...

Nomad
27-05-2008, 09:37 PM
If one is able to save in country x better they can save better in country y. Maybe some people like have a better day/day life and nothing left over but I prefer to make do there with adequately and do other stuff I really want to ....

Twelvevolts
28-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Well, some people want everything on a silver platter and at the same time ignore all the poor and underpaid.

Perhaps they're poor and underpaid for a reason?

Rob99
29-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Petrol went up again... 6cents at Mobil (others probably too)... 50L fill = $3 more.

That block of cheese is now looking slightly smaller, would be better if they could just send me the block of cheese each week.

:2cents:

johcar
29-05-2008, 09:00 AM
It has been done to most benefit the typical labour voter. Labour voters are usually Average to low wage families, Beneficeries, Students and the elderly, and the budget benefits these people. By introducing a new tax rate, they are making things more confusing...

You forgot their target market: low IQs. :)