PDA

View Full Version : Tablet LCD screen

robbyp
22-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Anyone got one of these http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_wacom_cintiq_12wx.php They look really cool.

I would be interested to know how good it is for doing photoshop and dreamweaver work.

Bantu
22-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I have a standard Wacom Tablet my daughter uses for Photoshop work. It is good for some things but not everything. I doubt it would be a lot of good for Dreamweaver.

Biggles
22-05-2008, 05:02 PM
Here's what I thought (http://pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcw.nsf/reviews/3F4284D2E7C2D47BCC2573F60072E012?Opendocument&HighLight=2,wacom).

I've got a standard Wacom tablet, and I wasn't too sorry to go back to it after using the Cintiq. But hey, I'm a bit of a luddite anyhow.

Bantu
22-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Wow Bruce, it is not a cheap toy that one.

Biggles
22-05-2008, 05:17 PM
No -that was my conclusion. What it does, it does very well. But for me at least, that one key function - on screen drawing - doesn't compensate for the high cost, small screen, and the fact that you can get a good standard Wacom tablet and a very nice 2nd monitor for much less money. You won't have on-screen drawing, but will you really mind when you're working on your 24-inch 2nd screen ....

robbyp
22-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow Bruce, it is not a cheap toy that one.

Thanks for the review.

You can currently get it for around $1800, and a standard tablet at that size without the LCD behind it is about $750. A good true 16.7 colour 24 inch screen will set you back about $1200, although the screen on the wacom is obvously not 24 inch.
Certainly I see pros and cons with it, and it would be good to see an inbetween size, maybe a 15-16 inch model, which I suppose they may release in the future. The main pros with it, is that you do have that real 'draw on the screen' effect and is pressure sensitive, the current resolution is the same as a normal WXGA widescreen laptop which is ok if you don't have all the softwares side panels on , and you can use it as a dual screen with your current monitor.

This video makes it look really good, but the guy doing it is probably a pro at using it.

I just wish there were more manufacturers making these things so there is more competition and models to choose from. Maybe apple will bring in a touch display computer in the future.