PDA

View Full Version : I need some help by someone who knows

deno240
22-05-2008, 04:07 PM
about the wires/cords and all the other insides of a drive box

I have 2 hard drives (C and D) that are both used, C is around 20gb or maybe a little more or less and D is around 111gb, D used to be the default drive but when my computer needed fixing the guy who fixed it had made C the default drive. What do I do to get D back to the default drive again? I know it's just a matter of switching some cords over but I don't know, I had thought that switching the actual hard drives around so the other is on top, and the other is underneath but found out I was wrong and that wouldn't make a difference. I'm not the only one who uses the computer, so when the others download things they put them onto C drive which is almost full. Get what I'm meaning?

I don't know anyone in Christchurch who knows about these kinds of things to do it for me, so thought I could try asking on here how to do it.

kjaada
22-05-2008, 04:15 PM
This may be what you need to know http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307844

pctek
22-05-2008, 04:22 PM
With IDE drives there is generally a Master and a slave, depending on the cabling.
But thats not what you are asking, nor is the physical arrangement relevant to your question.

C: is the drive that Windows gets installed to. It will always become C: regardless of whether or not its Master or Slave. Generally though, th Master will become the boot drive, but it doesn't have to.

If you manage to change it to D: it will stuff things up.

You can't alter it now without either reinstalling everything or ghosting C: over to a new drive.

Either educate people to install stuff in Custom mode - changing the default installation path to D:\XXXX or replace the 20GB with something bigger.

Sweep
22-05-2008, 06:15 PM
PCTEK is quite correct.

Within Windows you can change the location of the "My Documents" folder so this is on the D: drive. This will not stop people adding to the C: drive but if you are using default save it will help:-

Create a folder on the D: drive called Data or some other name like Docs.

Under that you can have subdirectories like:-
Fred Docs
Pics
Downloads
Worksheets
Letters
Music

Joe Docs

And etc.

If you create the right file folders it should work.

kjaada
23-05-2008, 07:48 AM
When you did the start up with USB unplugged you did unplug the hub and not just the usb devices did you ?

kjaada
23-05-2008, 08:05 AM
OOPS WRONG THREAD !!!!