PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new Xtra connection

nofam
22-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Just signed up with Xtra, and installed things on Tuesday night with no issue, and was web browsing nice and quick.

Went to check a few sites on Tuesday night, and no internet. LAN was connected, IP address was all good, and the Power, LAN, ADSL & Internet lights on the modem were showing as they should, but I couldn't connect to any sites.

Re-ran the install CD, and everything started working fine again.

Got home last night, and blow me down, same thing had happened!! :groan:

Any ideas?

There was a phone/answerphone on the same jackpoint which I've unplugged, and I've swapped out the line filter and ethernet cable.

Incidentally, Telecom are now shipping Thompson modems, which seem very locked down - I couldn't enable NAT etc, nor could I even find where to change the default internal IP (it was showing that I was logged in as administrator)

dyewitness
22-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Are you able to ping any sites via their ip address instead of hostname:
eg.
66.249.93.147 (www.google.com)
146.171.18.242 (www.telecom.co.nz)

I had issues before with having my modem try to automatically retrieve DNS server information from Telecom.

Perhaps try manually setting the DNS servers in your modem:
Primary: 202.27.158.40
Secondary: 202.27.156.72

TheNerd
22-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi there,
We run a computer store and both installations of Thompson modems we have come across so far seem to be suffering the same fate. I have noticed that once the modem is powered off when it is powered on again it has lost the username/password etc. The ADSL and internet lights are often still on though.
I am particularly keen to get hold of a manual relating to this firmware but so far have found nothing on the internet. I suspect there may be an alternative login address that gives better control for technicians (much like netgear use).
Any thoughts/help would be much appreciated on this one.

UPDATE

Looks like manuals etc can be found here http://www.thomsontelecompartner.com/ no sign of an alternate log in though. It seems most functions are there but the interface is all about looking pretty and trying not to confuse the un-initiated. Which unfortunately makes life hard for those advanced users whom are used to the more standard GUI layout and just want to get in and out to get the job done.

wratterus
22-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Welcome to PressF1 TheNerd, you are not alone.

Yep, problems problems and more problems with the Thompson modems.

Xtra should be shot. And they don't seem to be sending any line filters with the new modems either...

Unless all 4 people I've set up with them managed to lose them! :illogical

SolMiester
22-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Appears the modem\router isnt saving user login details like the dlinks did!! Have you spoken to Telecom about this?

nofam
22-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Appears the modem\router isnt saving user login details like the dlinks did!! Have you spoken to Telecom about this?

No - I wanted to post here and talk to knowledgeable, intelligent people first!! :D

I consider ringing Telecom a last resort, as you invariably just end up talking to someone reading off a cheat sheet.

The modem hasn't been powered off today, so when I get home, I'll check to see if I'm still able to connect.

Thanks all :thumbs: