PDA

View Full Version : HDD Cloning

bk T
22-05-2008, 12:43 PM
I intend to replace my laptop's HDD with a larger capacity HDD and plan to clone the existing HDD to my new one so as to retain all the settings, programs, etc, etc. Questions:

1. My laptop has a hidden recovery partition (created by the Manufacturer); after cloning, will I still be able to use the recovery features by pressing F9 key?

2. I've got a copy of Ghost 2003, is it good enough to do the job, or have to get something newer? Not prepared to spend 'unnecessary' money on software, though.

3. Do I have to partition my new HDD first or do it later after cloning? What are the pros and cons?

4. Is there anything in particular that I have to pay special attention to when cloning ) or before cloning?

Cheers

drcspy
22-05-2008, 02:07 PM
1. My laptop has a hidden recovery partition (created by the Manufacturer); after cloning, will I still be able to use the recovery features by pressing F9 key?

Ghost will copy EVERYTHING so your system will essentially be EXACTLY the same as before cept for having a bigger drive

2. I've got a copy of Ghost 2003, is it good enough to do the job, or have to get something newer? Not prepared to spend 'unnecessary' money on software, though.

Ghost will be fine

3. Do I have to partition my new HDD first or do it later after cloning? What are the pros and cons?

No you dont have to partition Ghost will just create an exact copy on the blank drive.......you *may* need to format the drive .......cant remember for sure even tho I've used Ghost hundreds of times lol it's a while since i used it on a 'new' drive...........it's a minor thing anyway to create a partiton and format it.......

4. Is there anything in particular that I have to pay special attention to when cloning ) or before cloning?

no

drcspy
22-05-2008, 02:08 PM
EDIT:

Maybe..........if you are VERY familiar with Ghost then it's not a prob tho I think you may not be............

just make sure you use the drive to drive option........

bk T
22-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks, drcspy.:thumbs: