PDA

View Full Version : Possible virus?

01-05-2001, 01:41 PM
My sister was booting her windows98 PC and it hung on the windows startup screen, so she rebooted and got a missing operating system error message when it tried to boot of the c:.

She asked me to have a look at it and so I booted to a floppy and took a look at her c:, there was about 4-5 misc directorys remaining but no sytem files or windows directory, most of (99%) her data was missing. On the root diectory was a 1.3 gigabyte (approximately the size of her HD) called 24-may.qlc or something similar.

The PC has only one hard disk and one partition.

Would this most likely have been caused by a virus? and is the data recoverable?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

01-05-2001, 04:03 PM
Hi Austin, Your sister wouldn't by any chance have used a backup or disk image recovery program?. Looking at the file that was there, it looks like the date of a backup program or similar. I use a program called Drive Image Pro and it has the *.pqi extension. It may have been something like this that has been left there. If this is a backup file she will have to reinstall windows, leaving the file where it is and then using the backup program try to restore the files, overwriting the originals. Hope this makes sense.

Regards Fred