PDA

View Full Version : Sharring a broadband connection

Deluxe
21-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Hi this will probally be and easy question to answer for some but I have never had broadband so I am not sure. I am in between flats for a couple of months and the place I am staying has a broadband connection using a single port dlink router/modem.

I would like to use this connection if possible so I dont tie up their phone line with my dial up. At the moment I am using their pc for broadband access but would like to have it available to my laptop in my room (which is near the router so I am able to run cables etc)

What would be the easiest and cheapest way to take advantage of this? We are never using the net at the same time, they use it during the day and I am only home at night.

From my limited knowledge i think I could possibly do the following...

Unplug their computer from the modem and plug it into my laptop everytime I want to use it

Buy a multiport or wireless router/modem and hook that up

Would an ethernet switch be suitable to this situation?

Jen
21-05-2008, 10:45 PM
Have you checked the modem to see if it has a USB port as well as the single ethernet port? Depending on how far apart the computers are from the modem, then one of them could use the USB connection while the other uses the ethernet connection.

bob_doe_nz
21-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Would an ethernet switch be suitable to this situation?

Assuming they don't mind tripping over cables :xmouth: , I'd go for that option. It's the cheapest method but also the ugliest.

Wireless depending on distance and walls can be rather unreliable

Greven
21-05-2008, 10:50 PM
a switch will be fine, or if you are happy to switch cables all the time, just get a network cable so you can have a cable going to each computer & switch them at the router (easier than getting behind the computer & unplugging the cable all the time)

USB will probably work, but ethernet would be better.

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 12:13 PM
A friend of mine has a 502T and he runs one PC off USB and the other off ethernet.

Both work at the same time tine - might not be ideal but it does work and saves you having to buy an extra switch.

If the router you have also has USB then make the permanent connection with USB and your laptop with ethernet - USB is only designed for short distances.

If there's no USB port then you can get a very cheap switch and just get a couple of extra ethernet cables

Wireless is more expensive, unreliable and slower, so if you want fast, reliable and cheap, ethernet is king :D

You can get a cheap switch here http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html?g=41 for $15 even less if you go trademe

Deluxe
23-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Sweet that sounds like the go then, just another simple question or two.

The router does have usb and ethernet but owner would prefer to keep his running off ethernet. So if I run phone line to router ----router ---- ethernet switch---- to two computers that would be correct?

Does the switch allow both computers access at the same time or just one? It will 99% of the time only be one, but just wondering to get my head around it all.

If both were accessing it does it slow down the speed much?

Thanks alot for the answers, Not worried about it being tidy as most of it can be run around the walls and behind book cases etc, and it is only tempory living arrangments.

Cheers

Agent_24
24-05-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes that is how you would connect them, and yes you can both access the internet at the same time. You can also share files between both computers etc as they will both be on the same local network.

And yes, the internet speed will be slower when both are using it at the same time - but that depends on who is doing what. I don't know how much bandwidth you have available, but if someone is doing some heavy downloading the other person is likely to notice a slower connection - but if you were both just browsing etc you wouldn't notice much difference

Deluxe
24-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Sweet thanks alot guys