PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Win98 to win98 SE

Rock
21-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Hi

I have and old PII 400 gathering dust.

Want to recycle it to the grandkids for basic email and internet.

Want to connect it to Xtra Broadband as that is available.

It has a USB card.

I have the telecom DSL-502T ADSL Modem

But..... It needs an Operating system Upgrade to at least Win98 SE

So is this easy to do?

How do I do it?

If done by CD are they still available?

Thanks in Advance

Speedy Gonzales
21-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Might be a bit hard buying a cd brand new. May have to buy one off the trademe site.

I think I've got the 98 install and 98 / 98 SE upgrade cd here somewhere

the_bogan
21-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, where are you? I'm in Wellington and can help you out.

KatiMike
21-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Do you have a valid win 98 or 98 se product key?

If so then I can send you a disc of 98se to install

Otherwise , as Speedy suggests, you may be able to pick up a disc and liscence key off Trade Me

Failing that , have you considered Linux to run on this machine ? Would be more than able to do e-mail , web surfing , homework etc

Mike

Rock
21-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Hi,

Thanks for quick replys.
Speeddy - I checked trademe and nothing there only XP and Vista

Bogan, Sorry I am Waipu, just south of Whangarei, But if there is some way I would like to follow up you offer of help

Rock
21-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Mike,

I have the origonal 98 first edition disk and Key. Which came with the PC I bought new in 1999 form The old "PC Company"

tweak'e
21-05-2008, 10:02 PM
darn pressf1 server crashed again......post #2

use 2nd edition....it has much better USB support and driver support.
use LAN for adsl connection rather than usb.

9x software might be fun especially AV. a lot of companies have dropped 9x software tho old versions should work ok for most things except AV.

with enough ram w2k might work ok.

Rock
21-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Tweake,

its got 320mb Ram

tweak'e
22-05-2008, 12:05 AM
w2k might just run. i had a play with a p3 500 with w2k the other day and it run suprising well.
however 98se will proberly still run quicker but w2k is more compatible with modern things but i would exspect a lot of modern programs will run slow.

williamF
22-05-2008, 01:23 AM
put 2k or god forbid... ME (if you can find a copy now) they both support USB drives better without trawling the net for drivers (unlike 98se) if you lost the disc or some odd reason. although with a bit of patience and various expletives you can get 'most anything going that works on any modern machine working on 98se (heck i've made my win 98 machine look like vista - eg icons and background - with a few hacks here and there http://resistorhelper.no-ip.org/imgs/screenshot.jpg)

Sherman
22-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Hi Mike,

I have the origonal 98 first edition disk and Key. Which came with the PC I bought new in 1999 form The old "PC Company"

One little thing you may not know..
The key that came with windows 98 1st ed will also work for 2nd edition.

And yes I have tried it. I have the original book and COA from our Win 98 PC (1st ed) and found someone who had a SE disc, and there is no problems with installing it.

berryb
22-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Also for antiviris Avast works on Win 98.

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 12:00 PM
If you've got a valid key then just download a Win98SE CD image

Linux sounds a good idea though, you wouldn't have to worry about malware/virus etc

pctek
22-05-2008, 12:27 PM
I have a customer using Win98 1st ed.
Just put a network card in the PC and use the modem on ethernet.

Simple.

Peter H
22-05-2008, 12:45 PM
For USB 2.0 Use a 4 port PCI card from Dick Smith. XH6738. Comes complete with drivers

drcspy
22-05-2008, 02:01 PM
It needs an Operating system Upgrade to at least Win98 SE

So is this easy to do

if you really want to do it it's very simple.........

the following will enable you to upgrade it yet keep all the existing programs/apps/settings etc.........

This method will allow a user to either do a 'repair install' or an upgrade from an existing
installation.....just follw the instructions exactly

as with all versions of windows you can do a 'clean' install which will wipe the system and install a clean verison of windows or you can do a 'repair' install if you know how.........

to do this stuff in a boot disk for win98....if you havent got one download this:
http://www.bootdisk.com

then double clik it and it'll write to floppy and voila you'll have a boot disk.........then

start the system with the boot floppy have your win98 cd handy.....also you'll need to have written down the system liscense key

when you start up you'll get a little menu choose 'start with cd support'

then when the system has loaded the cddrivers you need to change the directory to c: so just type in c: at the command prompt and then tap enter

then type in

cd windows

then tap enter

then type in

ren win.com win.old

then tap enter

then type in d:

then tap enter that should take you 'into ' the cd ...........then type in

cd win98

then tap enter

then type in

setup

then tap enter

then you'll be starting the 98 setup ......it'll run scandisk then you have to tap X and the rest of the setup will continue.........at some stage it'll give you the option of installing to 'windows.000' or .............custom install .......choose custom install then clik 'next' then in the 'custom install' box type in

windows

then clik next...........NOW you are on the way to doin a 'repair' or 'over the top' install of 98 and you wont lose ANY data or programs off the system it'll just overwrite the system files with good copies from the cd.............

PHEW !!!

you follow those instructions EXACTLY you'll be fine.......

Rock
22-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks Drcspy,

But one thing I don't understand. If I do this will it not just reinstall the original windows 98 not upgrade to windows 98 SE ?

Or do you mean have a windows 98 SE disk, which I don't have. I have only the windows 98 first edition (Sometimes called "gold" I think)

Thanks Peter H,

Do I need USB 2.0 to run the telecom Modem? The PCI USB card I have now is a 2 port USB version1.0

Thanks Pcteck,

The telecom install cd for broadband seems to check the operating system.
Will the ethernet not solve this problem or can Telecom Broadband be installed manually, to avoid thsi issue.

Thanks Agent_24.

Where to download a copy of win 98 SE CD image ?

Thanks all, I think there is a solution out there

Jen
22-05-2008, 09:16 PM
If you've got a valid key then just download a Win98SE CD image

Or do you mean have a windows 98 SE disk, which I don't have. I have only the windows 98 first edition (Sometimes called "gold" I think)

Where to download a copy of win 98 SE CD image ?Ah, advising someone to download a Windows CD image when they clearly do not own a license key is a big no-no.

This forum does not permit advice with piracy.

Rock
22-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Hi Jen,

I will certianly NOT do anything Illegal !!!!

As Sherman says in post #11, The Key, or valid licence, I have is for 1st Edition, even if it works (is the same as second edition) then if I can not obtain obslute SE upgrade, I will look at maybe changing to Linux (sp) or trying the ethernet idea or.... Send it to the landfill (as their is no recycle here) and buy the grandson a cheep Wharehouse lappy.

Thanks again all for help.

Murray P
23-05-2008, 12:37 AM
1st edition with the service pack is not that much different to SE.

I'd look at putting a light weight Linux distro on. You'll get better support and a snappier OS and apps if you go for one that is optimised for older machinery.

Mepis has just Released Mepis antiX 7.2 (http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=04893). Others might be kind enough to recommend alternatives to Mepis.