PDA

View Full Version : Rear surround PC speakers

pingu45
21-05-2008, 05:40 PM
I have a 5.1 surround speaker system for my PC, and the rear speakers are very, very quiet.
I don't know if it's supposed to be like that - but for example in games I can't hear anything behind me and when I listen to music they have no effect. Just very quiet.
Any ideas on how I can boost the rear speaker output or something so that they are the same loudness as my front ones?
I use the Logitech X530 system.:banana

wratterus
21-05-2008, 05:58 PM
Does the logitech software not have options for individually setting speaker volumes?

Vista or XP?

mejobloggs
21-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I have the same speakers. The following applies to onboard sound.

Turn off the matrix surround thing on the volume control/onoff... thing. It's hopeless.

Forget playing surround sound music unless it's actually a file format that supports surround, the music is surround, and your music player is surround.

The best way to test if it's working properly is in the sound manager thing from whatever drivers you are using. I'm assuming realtek

You can raise the volume of the rear.

I'll pm you so we can talk on msn cause i forget settings etc unless im staring straight at mine

GeneralKanos
21-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Can you make a post on what you did to solve the problem, thanks.
I have the same speakers and the same problem.

heni72847
22-05-2008, 01:17 AM
I set my Volume Control to near minimum, and set my Wave to 80% max
then turn my speaker half way to the max
seem to get sound from rear speakers fine
sometimes when the combination change, sound from the rear speaker can become quieter, but can't remember what combination does that..

the C-Media Wave device (onboard sound) also have settings that allow me to change the volume of each channel
so look for that you might find a similar setup dialog

I don't play games, but for sound from 2 channel source I can use the mixer in ffdshow to expand the stereo so I can also get sound from rear speaker when playing CDs etc..
sounds pretty okay when I listen to it

utopian201
22-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I set my Volume Control to near minimum, and set my Wave to 80% max
then turn my speaker half way to the max
seem to get sound from rear speakers fine
sometimes when the combination change, sound from the rear speaker can become quieter, but can't remember what combination does that..

the C-Media Wave device (onboard sound) also have settings that allow me to change the volume of each channel
so look for that you might find a similar setup dialog

I don't play games, but for sound from 2 channel source I can use the mixer in ffdshow to expand the stereo so I can also get sound from rear speaker when playing CDs etc..
sounds pretty okay when I listen to it

My speakers have settings which allow you to have the rear speakers mirror the front speakers for 2 channel sound.

Heni: just out of interest, what c-media chip do you have? I have the 8738 onboard which was satisfactory, but I found out I could use the modern nicer drivers made for their newer chips simply by adding a line or 2 to the inf file. Adds nice functionality like equaliser settings etc.

mejobloggs
22-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Are you guys using onboard sound? What motherboards do you have?

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 12:08 PM
It is actually possible to run your stereo audio like MP3 files as surround

If you want to upmix stereo to virtual surround sound then find an option like this http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/surround_clone.PNG

C-media also has an option called 'Enable virtual 4/6-speakers' which does the same thing

It also doesn't affect real surround encoded audio which will be played as normal

If you're trying to get a game to run surround sound, make sure the game supports it, that you have chosen it in the game, and that your sound control settings are set to surround

mejobloggs
22-05-2008, 12:24 PM
nvmixer only work on nvidia motherboards?

All my efforts to upmix stereo etc has resulted in absolute rubbish rear sound

i have asus p5kr with realtek HD audio (next version up from AC'97 i think)

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 12:35 PM
nvmixer is rather old (this board is nforce3) - I don't think it works on anything above nforce4.

But the codec itself is Realtek, and you can use the standard Realtek drivers also - I just prefer nvmixer as a software.

But Realtek's own program should give you the options

Make sure you have latest drivers from Realtek http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3

mejobloggs
22-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Yeah i got the latest. So upmixed music sounds fine for you?

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah sounds fine, though rear channel is slightly lower volume (I think this is meant by design)

http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/volume_levels.PNG

Either way it can't beat 22.2 channel surround sound http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/22.2

dolby digital
22-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Any decent surround system will have some way of sending some white noise to each speaker in turn so you can set the levels properly. That way you know that the speaker actually works and the sound is being sent to the correct speaker.

Agent_24
22-05-2008, 06:34 PM
nvmixer has a button to do that, though they should put a 'warning this may deafen you' notice on it!

pingu45
22-05-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm using Realtek HD Audio Manager and I just figured out how to lower the front left, right and centre speakers by -10db, and the rear two by +10db.
Go to Rtek HD Aud Manager,
Speakers -
Room Correction tab,
Tick the 'Enable Room Correction' box
Change the decibel settings

all done!

heni72847
22-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Heni: just out of interest, what c-media chip do you have? I have the 8738 onboard which was satisfactory, but I found out I could use the modern nicer drivers made for their newer chips simply by adding a line or 2 to the inf file. Adds nice functionality like equaliser settings etc.

I have CMI9738 and I already have an equalizer in the config
I forgot to mention before, in CMI Audio Config I have increased my rear speaker by +6db