PDA

View Full Version : PC World adverts on PF1

theother1
21-05-2008, 01:47 PM
Hi guys
Until recently I had an advert free version of PF1 then suddenly I have all the ads again. On our work Broadband (telecom) it takes ages to load.
How do I return to the good old Ad-free days?

Morgenmuffel
21-05-2008, 02:22 PM
There are already a numbe of posts on here about this, (unforyunately i can't find them right now, but someone will) , There are solutions for Firefox and Opera

Bantu
21-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Check http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=89641
And also some of Bletch's postings, he has fixed these adverts a few times with his brilliant coding.

Also load noscript and adblock plus onto your Firefox.

I only have one advert left now everything else is gone.

kahawai chaser
21-05-2008, 02:41 PM
You can edit by removing or commenting out, your windows host file to prevent ads (mainly Google ads) and perhaps others if you know what their command lines/references are - There are probably web sites with common ad references within the host file - some which you can download to insert in your/work hosts file. Here's a basic tutorial at Digital Inspiration (http://labnol.blogspot.com/2004/10/tweak-your-windows-hosts-file.html). Care though - It might pay to back up the hosts file or the text commands/references within it, before any changes...

simro
21-05-2008, 05:22 PM
On firefox, (by far superior to i.e) you can download an add on called adblockplus for free, which is awesome! There arent any annoying ads now, the ads just disappear!

pcuser42
21-05-2008, 06:18 PM
For some reason, Adblock prevents ads from loading... :D

SPARTAN 860
21-05-2008, 09:26 PM
There is an IE Addon that allows you to block ads, use mouse gestures etc etc. Its quite handy, but I don't block the ads because I think they get $$$ for PF1 everyone someone loads one. The add on is called IEPro, serach for it. And Firefox isn't that much better than IE. Its mostly a matter of opinion. I perfer Opera, but use IE sometimes pecase IEPro makes it easier to use than Opera sometimes. I love Opera wigets though :).