PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on here?

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 06:03 PM
On Saturday I rang up Xnet as I had no broadband. It had just stopped.
We did a ping test and the rest of it, the 'ppp' light on my router was off and the xnet guy told me it was a telecom fault. He said he will log the job with them and that was that. An hour later it was on.

...but, now every 15-20 minutes my broadband now disconnects itself for a few minutes each time.

So I ring xnet back to see if Telecom are working still, he said I can pay $89 for telecom to go have a look at the lines.

Why the hell should I pay for it? The problem also affects work here as well and i have tried a different router/replacing all leads etc.

Blah!:illogical

Greg
20-05-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmm. I was just about to join Xnet, but after hearing that and recent reports of reliability I'm thinking twice.

Sherman
20-05-2008, 06:25 PM
I don't why, but for some reason PPP connection has been dropping for about 5 mins occasionally here too. Not every day, nor as often as your problem, but it is a tad annoying.
I definitely think it's something at Xnets end, as I haven't been the only one to notice it..

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Well they are saying its telecom. And they are saying I have to pay to get a tech out to fix their problem.

Thats pretty crap. Slingshot were the same, started all good, the product is ok but the service is sh*t.

pctek
20-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Before jumping to conclusions go see the neighbours - the ones on other ISPs. Are they having issues too?

One thing:
Telecom did a firmware upgrade on all the old equipment, this caused a problem with certain of the exchanges using old Nokia stuff. They don't care because they are doing the new ADSL2+ thing so it all gets replaced eventually.

Well, so long as you have more than 500 households in your town.

Wyndham gets this problem every now and then, it loses the tunnelling off certain ports and Telecom has to reset it.

This may or may not be your problem too.

Xnet have to ask stupid questions because Telecom won't log the fault until they can assure them they have made their customers do all the usual pointless stuff.

And they have to tell you you may be charged if a Telecom (Downer) tech is sent out - in case it turns out to be your end rather than the exchange.

I've been told that loads of times, its never happened yet, because its always been a Telecom end issue.

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea, I think its the fact that the first guy who did the original fault also made me do all those checks, then the second guy, then he says it would cost me $89 for the call out, he didnt say if it was Telecoms fault it would be free. I would have said go for it then.
Work is a 10 min walk away on Telecom, next door neighbours are on xnet and are suffering too.
The timing is also pretty coincidental...

R2x1
20-05-2008, 09:14 PM
No problem here, maybe we are so far from the exchange the troubles take a while to arrive and when they do they are so watered down they don't register. Either that or the phone gnome hasn't seen me.

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Those gnomes are pretty trickey!

R2x1
20-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Oh my very word they are, and quick too.

Erayd
20-05-2008, 09:50 PM
This issue is a known problem with Telecom equipment, and has been on the Xnet status page for weeks (http://www.xnet.co.nz/cgi-bin/status.cgi?id=368). As far as I'm aware, this affects every single ISP who resells Telecom's service.

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Ahhh thanks Bletch, thats a bit more peice of mind.

wratterus
21-05-2008, 10:34 AM
You should give them a piece of your mind, for peace of mind.

rob_on_guitar
21-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Id like to. It still continues to annoy.... bloody gnomes!

R2x1
21-05-2008, 12:38 PM
The phone gnomes are actually pretty mild compared with the Tele-bots.

rob_on_guitar
21-05-2008, 03:15 PM
oh?

R2x1
21-05-2008, 04:28 PM
They are ok, it's the double-oh's that are really bad.

rob_on_guitar
21-05-2008, 05:32 PM
May have to fortify the house. Pungi traps around the driveway...