PDA

View Full Version : TV3 News - or lack of it

kenj
20-05-2008, 07:36 AM
SWMBO is a news junkie. Every night she watches TV1 and records TV3 to view later in the evening.

She tells me that TV3 have made no mention of the Immigration Dept hooha at all. Is this because that TV1 broke the news maybe?

If that is the reason, carrying on with this attitude on could mean that the world could be plunged into a world war and TV3 would not report it if TV1 were first to break the news. Of course, they would as it comes off international news channels. But it seems that news coverage from our own backyard depends on the above.

Or - am I being a bit pedantic about this??

Ken

CYaBro
20-05-2008, 08:47 AM
They did mention it last night from what I saw.
Pretty sure it was the lead story.

Have you got Freeview for SWMBO?
TVNZ7 has news at 8pm for an hour as well a 10 minute slot every hour :punk

kenj
20-05-2008, 09:06 AM
They did mention it last night from what I saw.
Pretty sure it was the lead story.

Have you got Freeview for SWMBO?
TVNZ7 has news at 8pm for an hour as well a 10 minute slot every hour :punk

Yep, got 2 Freeview decoders. Our viewing tastes are a world apart, so I watch in the lounge, while she watches in the family room. Freeview has a far better picture than SkyTV. SWMBO gets confused about the number of remotes though. (Freeview,VHS, HDD recorder,TV, SkyTV) She is a total luddite. She doesn't watch the 8pm news on Freeview. Perhaps a little bit of SWMBO training might be in order. Or, perhaps I could build a 4 lane highway to Australia - that may be easier.

Ken

Cicero
20-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Yep, got 2 Freeview decoders. Our viewing tastes are a world apart, so I watch in the lounge, while she watches in the family room. Freeview has a far better picture than SkyTV. SWMBO gets confused about the number of remotes though. (Freeview,VHS, HDD recorder,TV, SkyTV) She is a total luddite. She doesn't watch the 8pm news on Freeview. Perhaps a little bit of SWMBO training might be in order. Or, perhaps I could build a 4 lane highway to Australia - that may be easier.

Ken
2 decoders!,oh to be rich.!

kenj
20-05-2008, 09:27 AM
2 decoders!,oh to be rich.!

Not at all. "Oi be a pensioner" First one purchased a few months ago and the latest one, just last month.

Probably desperation of getting a crappy ghosting pic for years on TV1,2 and TV3. And, definitely thinking of quitting SkyTV.

Ken

rob_on_guitar
20-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I just stick to the radio for news these days, the stuff on tv is just mindless/thoughtless crap. They take one story and drag it out forever to get ratings. Which sux if you dont care about the particular story.

paulw
20-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Unfortunatly all the NZ TV news casts (all three of them) have turned to crap over the past few years. They have been following the Ozz model of always leading off with accidents, car crashes or crime and the ocasional Oprah item. International news these days is snipet news unless there is a major earthquake or cyclone..

Bantu
20-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Paul McCartney once said that with modern communications we get all the worlds problems rolled up into 30 minutes a night pushed in our faces.

How often is the news good? Not often.

I don't listen to news on radio, TV or get the newspaper. I do however see snippets of news when they are advertising news coming on, that is more than enough for me. It would be 3-4 years since I sat and watched a full news session on TV.

beeswax34
20-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Unfortunatly all the NZ TV news casts (all three of them) have turned to crap over the past few years. They have been following the Ozz model of always leading off with accidents, car crashes or crime and the ocasional Oprah item. International news these days is snipet news unless there is a major earthquake or cyclone..

Amen.

German news anyday. Hell I even watch Al-Jazeera nowadays.

Roscoe
21-05-2008, 03:38 PM
I just stick to the radio for news these days, the stuff on tv is just mindless/thoughtless crap. They take one story and drag it out forever to get ratings. Which sux if you dont care about the particular story.

That does seem to be the way of TV One. They make a 30 second news item last three minutes! Do they do it for ratings or just to annoy? Thankfully we record the news so we can skip through all the long drawn out stories. We watch an hour news in about half an hour.

Ken: (*carefully whispered aside*) Dare I say that there is another news on Deutche Welle (Triangle) at 7pm which shows European news that the NZ channels do not? I will leave to you to inform SWMBO if you want.:)

kenj
21-05-2008, 03:59 PM
That does seem to be the way of TV One. They make a 30 second news item last three minutes! Do they do it for ratings or just to annoy? Thankfully we record the news so we can skip through all the long drawn out stories. We watch an hour news in about half an hour.

Ken: (*carefully whispered aside*) Dare I say that there is another news on Deutche Welle (Triangle) at 7pm which shows European news that the NZ channels do not? I will leave to you to inform SWMBO if you want.:)

:thumbs:

Ken

rob_on_guitar
21-05-2008, 04:16 PM
The other thing I hate is, how many ads can fit in???

Roscoe
21-05-2008, 04:38 PM
The other thing I hate is, how many ads can fit in???

Quite! Another damn good reason to record the news - skip through the ads. What fun!:clap

Digby
21-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Yes I get pissed off when they start the news with 6 people killed in a Sydney boating accident.

This is New Zealand ! It is sad that six young Aussies were killed but it should not be the main new item, with interviews etc etc.

And I also dislike the way that all of a sudden due to petrol price rises we are all going on bikes or buses and they do a story on that. What crap. Who wants to ride a bike in this long spread out hilly country with all the idiots in cars on the roads !

kenj
21-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Yes I get pissed off when they start the news with 6 people killed in a Sydney boating accident.

This is New Zealand ! It is sad that six young Aussies were killed but it should not be the main new item, with interviews etc etc.

Having a daughter living in Sydney, thereby SWMBO and I spending a bit of time staying there, I can say that the only time you see anything about NZ on their TV is when they have beaten us at sport. If they lose to us - nothing!!!

Ken

Erayd
21-05-2008, 11:55 PM
What annoys me is how one news now reports on the weather every 5 mins to bulk out their apparant lack of substance... at tvnz, every day is a slow news day!

paulw
22-05-2008, 09:13 AM

!

Then I guess you prefer the dumb down local brain dead crime , accident news items to international items??