PDA

View Full Version : whats up with my computer? won't connect to net....

smudge
19-05-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure what happened, automatic updates may have installed and had something to do with this, but if i turn my computer off, hibernate it, restart it or put it into sleep mode, i turn it back on and the internet doesn't work on it at all for at LEAST 6 to 7 hours, i thought it may have something to do with the built in wireless thing, so i plugged in a LAN cord but the same thing happened, page cannot be displayed, avast fails to update, the internet is completley dead! I try the other computer and it works fine, so definately not a problem with the internet itself. I did the repair thing and it comes with all these options to try and fix it but everything fails. last night i thought i'd try putting into sleep mode to see if it would make a difference, turned it on less than 5mins later and the net didn't work, i kept the computer on all night, tested to see if the net was going at 6am (The computer was turned back on at 11pm) it was on for 7 hours... I tried again at 9am, still didn't go, I checked it again at 11am and it was working, so that time it was on for at least 10 hours without the internet working on it. I tried to do a system restore back to Friday night from when it was working fine but it failed and said there have been no changes made. Does anyone know what I could do?
If all else fails, i'll take it back to where i got it from since it's still under warrenty (Luckily!!) but thought i'd try my luck on here first

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Whats the firewall on it??

A firewall (if its Zonealarm, or Nortons), wil stop intenet access, if one of their services stop.

And what version of Windows, are we talking about?

linw
20-05-2008, 10:12 AM
Wouldn't count on this being a warranty issue as it won't be a hardware fault.

We/you need some more info on the state of the IP configuration when in fault mode. Get into command mode (Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt). Type in ipconfig /all and hit enter. What does it display for:-
IP address (numbers formatted like 192.168.1.2)
Subnet mask
Gateway
DNS

pctek
20-05-2008, 10:14 AM
Done a malware scan?

smudge
22-05-2008, 03:42 PM
The net stopped working altogether on it so I couldn't check this thread,
I ended up doing a system recovery and now everything works great!

Thank you though for offering help on this.

I did do malware scans, the firewall i'm using is comodo but i had exited that, exited the virus scanners and disabled them on startup, it still didn't make a difference. it was after windows did automatic update, although i don't see how that would make a difference to the internet :confused: