PDA

View Full Version : Router prompts me for password when using firefox but not IE?

Sick Puppy
19-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Sorry everyone, long initial post! :p

I have a laptop using XP and Mozilla Firefox, with a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router & Telstra cable connection via a Motorola surfboard modem. Last week I had a problem with the modem, and while sorting it out I tried to access both the internet and wireless router settings at once in different tabs.

While I sorted out the problem, now when I access the internet via Firefox, a window titled “Authentication required” requests that I enter my user name and password for “[My router name]” at 192.168.1.1 (the website it operates at.)
*If I provide these details, it doesn't come up again;
*If I cancel it reappears every time I click a link;
*If I provide the wrong password, it just comes back; but if I try to provide the wrong password while accessing the router set up it comes up "401 authorisation denied". I cannot find any way of getting this window to stop coming up.

The strange thing is that I do not have this problem with Internet explorer or MS Outlook- only with Firefox. My flatmate doesn’t have any problems either, but then she doesn’t use firefox! lol

I've spoken to the Linksys helpdesk, and because I don't have this issue with Internet explorer they say it is a Firefox problem. Their solutions were to either:
*Use IE- erm, no- IE sucks, which is why I’m using firefox;
*Reinstall Firefox- can I do this and keep my favourites etc? Will this even work, and what the hell is wrong in the first place?

The Linksys community forum is down to those that sign in (so I can’t post anything), and I cannot find anything like it when checking as an unregistered user.

While I’m not sure about what Linksys are saying, I figured I should check with Firefox just in case, so I have put a question on their forum. I‘ve not had a response yet).

I cannot see anything unusual in the router set up, but then I don’t really know that much about them… I have deleted and reconnected with my wireless network, to no avail.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

beeswax34
19-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Tried running FF in safe Mode - without any addons active?

Sick Puppy
21-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Nah, no add-ons, but I checked the browser setting and the last part was 1 rather than 100. I changed it and problem gone. Linksys helpline was right, and I feel like an idiot. :blush:

beeswax34
21-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Haha, glad you got it sorted :D