PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Windows 98SE crashes when looking for drivers

Randolf
19-05-2008, 03:26 PM
I have just put a Skt 370 Pentium III unit together for someone who only wants a word processor. Everything appears to be working, but when the install gets to the final stage of presenting the screen message "Windows has found new hardware and is locating the software for it" it immediately crashes. What I presume is the new hardware wizard appears for a fraction of a second. The hardware it has identified is the Compaq S710 CRT Monitor I'm using.

I can boot to safe mode, and the drivers seem OK - adequate to start the machine at least. The M/B is an MSI 6309.

Perhaps someone with more experience than I could advise the most likely cause of this problem. Thanks.

pcuser42
19-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Does it happen with another monitor? You could try installing the drivers in Safe mode as well.

Randolf
19-05-2008, 06:08 PM
I am going to try a Philips monitor that I have, but the Compaq was working well last time used. Yes I loaded the driver in safe mode, no change. Trouble is that I got all the hardware from different sellers on Trade Me and have no verification they work. I wonder if its a faulty Video card?

Metla
19-05-2008, 08:16 PM
I wonder if its a faulty Video card?

Thats where I would be looking.

Randolf
19-05-2008, 08:40 PM
One thing though, as it boots to safe mode would this not mean the video card is working OK. I just can't understand why the new hardware wizard is triggering the crash. I formatted the disc and installed a different O/S Of Win 98SE, but the same thing happened. All the drivers are in order looking into safe mode. Still scratching my head.

pcuser42
20-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Is the video card integrated, AGP or PCI? (Some older PCs had PCI graphics cards. Do not confuse this with PCI Express.)

Randolf
20-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks. It is an AGP card in an AGP slot with the BIOS configured for AGP.

Graham L
20-05-2008, 01:25 PM
It might pay to run a memory tester. Installation of an OS requires perfect memory. Odd things often happen with imperfect memory. ;)

Is the video "card" an actual card? Is there an onboard video as well? If so, you could try with the onboard one disabled.