PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Player.

Jams
19-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey guys.

I have recently made a website at my workplace that is designed to run locally from a CD.

What it is, is a simple website with a few navigational buttons and tables that host URL's to other locally stored websites on the same CD.

On some of those websites i have embedded .wmv files. Each .wmv file is stored locally on the CD right next to the correlating index.html. I have opened the .html file's that have the emebedded videos in Dreamweaver and have checked the links and all seems to be fine.

What my issue is that when on a Windows machine (Windows XP), both Firefox and IE (both up-to date) will not stream the local .wmv's off the CD. I say this because when i run it on my MacBook pro under Safari or Firefox it streams perfectly.

When viewing the error details of Windows Media Player in either browser, it tells me that it cannot locate the file.

I have managed to figure out that the problem lies with Windows Media Player as both Safari and Firefox under OSX don't use Windows Media Player to stream .wmv's, they use Quicktime, and they play off the CD fine!

So, team. Any idea's?

I guess what i'm trying to ask is....Does Windows Media Player not stream locally embedded videos? I have tested Windows Media Player in both Firefox and IE with online content and it streams movie trailers no problems.

kahawai chaser
19-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Perhaps a plugin is required, or the code (http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/windows-media/streaming/embed.html) may not be optimized to allow the file to play. What web program did you use? Are the video files in separate folders linked correctly to the index folder? Can you show the windows media player code here for people to evaluate?

Jams
19-05-2008, 03:25 PM
Perhaps a plugin is required, or the code (http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/windows-media/streaming/embed.html) may not be optimized to allow the file to play.

Hmm, i'll check that out.

What web program did you use?

What my issue is that when on a Windows machine (Windows XP), both Firefox and IE (both up-to date) will not stream the local .wmv's off the CD. I say this because when i run it on my MacBook pro under Safari or Firefox it streams perfectly.

By Web program i assume you mean Broswer? Or if you mean Developing program then

I have opened the .html file's that have the emebedded videos in Dreamweaver and have checked the links and all seems to be fine.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Are the video files in separate folders linked correctly to the index folder?

I have opened the .html file's that have the emebedded videos in Dreamweaver and have checked the links and all seems to be fine.

Each .wmv file is stored locally on the CD right next to the correlating index.html.

If it was a problem with incorrect links in my HTML code then it would not stream the videos under OSX with Safari and Firefox.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Can you show the windows media player code here for people to evaluate?

By "Windows Media Code" do you mean the embed tag i have used? Without trying to sound rude, how much of my OP did you actually read?

kahawai chaser
19-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Well read the full post a few times...but trying to comprehend why videos under OSX streams, but not under XP. This might mean that there is a plugin present for OSX that allows wmv files to stream...

Jams
20-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Well read the full post a few times...but trying to comprehend why videos under OSX streams, but not under XP. This might mean that there is a plugin present for OSX that allows wmv files to stream...

Yeah, it's called Quicktime. Which is what i also said in the initial post.

Thanks for trying to help dude, it's just a little frustrating when I/anyone has to repeat themselves.

kahawai chaser
20-05-2008, 10:52 AM
However I think Quick time is specifically a application (like media player), rather than a plugin (component that links/attaches to a application to allow compatibility). FlipMac (http://www.flip4mac.com/download.htm) is a example of such components for wmv...