PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Novice

A Team
18-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Hi. I am on Dial-Up, contemplating switching to Broadband. I have so many questions, principally about what hardware is required (Wireless (or not); Internal (or not); Modem and Router (or Modem, only); Pros; Cons; ) that it would be uneconomic to ask them all, here. Can any of you direct me to a resource where all will be revealed. Broadband for Dummies, almost. Thanks.

bob_doe_nz
18-05-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.leptonica.com/broadband.html

http://www.amazon.com/Broadband-Internet-Access-Dummies-Stockman/dp/0764507699

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Depends if u have anything thats wireless.

If you dont have anything like a laptop that has wireless on it, you dont need a wireless router.

External would be better, since it doesnt look you can get internal modems with wireless, as you found out. Thats if u want wireless

If you have more than 1 pc, you'll have to get a router / or a 4 port modem/router, so the other pcs can get on the net

Nomad
18-05-2008, 10:47 PM
I prefer external because there are no required drivers. The other day on my Pentium one 200Mhz .. I was able to connect my ADSL router on it and it worked. It just goes via network cable.

Its simple as .. when you open your internet browser .. you just say connect via lan and manual. That's it. No settings no nothing. With the router on .. the internet browser and any other software just works. Provided you set up the modem or modem router via its menu with your ISP username and stuff. The beauty with LAN plugged modem is that the settings are recorded in the modem .. if you reinstall the PC or take it upstairs, you do not need to redo the settings (like you need to with diaup).

If you need wireless, cos that is connected by cable and the wireless router provides wireless communication with the other newer wireless equipped PCs at your house. That's the advantage of a modem router. If you just have one PC I might get myself a modem only .... Routers are not much more thou and if you have a Skype phone that will work wireless too ...

Bottomline is that I get external modems with a network plug. I won't consider USB myself.

A Team
19-05-2008, 03:20 PM
I've read all the replies and the docs referred to. I'm having trouble understanding;
*Do you need a router for non-wireless applications)?
*Why you need a router (as well as a modem) for wireless broadband?
*If you do need both (wireless), why you wouldn't get a combined unit?
*Is there such a unit (combined wireless modem / router) that is internal?
*And I presume an internal unit cannot be used unless the host computer is switched on? Are there any other disadvantages?
Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2008, 03:36 PM
No you dont need wireless as part of a router.

You can either get a modem/router, or modem/router which includes wireless

You need the modem part to get on the net, the router is probably there, so u can connect more pcs to it. And its probably easier to configure it

Youve already asked and looked yourself for an internal router / wireless modem

You didnt find one so give up !. If you want internal buy an internal modem and a USB wireless adapter or something.

Theres a difference, between wireless broadband, and connecting thru someone else, using wireless (WIFI).

Wireless internet means no phone (like woosh), and it can be expensive.

Wireless (as in WIFI), you need wireless onboard or a USB wireless adapter, or something, that'll get u on the net thru something or someone else.

BUT if youre the only one connecting to the internet, then you dont need wireless, only a modem / and or router

pctek
19-05-2008, 03:37 PM
You don't need one for apps at all, only connectivity.

You don't.

Most people would.

No, only external.

Nomad
19-05-2008, 09:00 PM
I've read all the replies and the docs referred to. I'm having trouble understanding;
*And I presume an internal unit cannot be used unless the host computer is switched on? Are there any other disadvantages?
Cheers.

1) A router can be wireless or non-wireless. Ie., my one is wireless but it also has 5x network plugs if I wish. I can use wireless and I can use wired simultaneously.
2) A router just that you can share your internet with people (easier) be it wired or wireless. I say easier because with Windows software these days you could share internet with just a network cable with no extra hardware. Windows has the software utility available. A modem and a router built together just makes life easier and its probably cheaper than buying 2 units separately.
3) That's what I would do.
4) I am not sure if there is one - the disadvantage of this is that you are at the mercy of the software drivers - if you upgrade windows or if you use Linux etc etc. or if you use a old PC with old software.
5) Yes if the host computer that has the internal modem - if its off then the modem is off. Driver issues as mentioned above. Not portable - ie, cannot take upstairs to a different PC and use it. Ie., if you have a router, you could place it in the lounge .. if you have 2 PCs .. each one can turn on and use it anytime - either or both.

rob_on_guitar
19-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Would it be for a lap top or pc?

Deathwish
19-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Easy answers, follow these :

Do you want to go wireless?
You will need what is called a Wireless Modem/Router device.

Do you want to be wired?
->Is it important for you to have more than 1 computer on the network/internet simultaneously?
YES -> Get an ADSL Modem/router (or alternatively, plug a router into a modem).
NO -> Get a Modem (you'll probably get one for free when you sign up to broadband services of most ISPs).

A modem for 'broadband' (ADSL) is different from your current dialup modem. I think there are internal ones available, but apaprently much easier to find external ones, also quite cost effective. Functions in the same way as your dialup modem pretty much, except it deals with higher frequencies which you do not hear - unlike the dial up modem when you pick up the phone. Modem for dummies - it takes the analogue wave signals (noises) from the phone line and makes it into 100010's for the computer to understand.

The router, you will want to have one if you connect more than 1 computer to the internet simultaneously (or just for convenience of not having to unplug one from modem and take wire to the other between usage). You will also want a router if you plan to set up a home network, maybe so you can share files or play lan games etc. easily within the home, but I am guessing you just want to get the internet. Routers often have what is known as hardware firewalls which are pretty secure (not saying you shouldn't still have firewalls of your own!). I think it is best defined as a device that re-directs traffic to more than one destination.? Routers can suit wired or wireless applications, depends on what you buy. If it is suited for wireless, it will be labeled as such, eg. "Wireless Router".

And finally, a modem router is a fusion of the 2 devices above, but in a single box. You can have one of these, or you can just start with a laptop and buy a separate router box later and plug that into the modem. It's for convenience (having less boxes on your desk, and less big fat things to plug into the power board - my biggest issue with having separate modem/router).

Nowadays it is also pretty cost effective to go wireless, it just depends on what you are doing. If you are pretty serious with your online gaming or something, you want wired, if it's browsing and you like the freedom of moving around the house with your laptop or whatever WiFi device, then you may find wireless pretty feasible.