PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Upgrade Time

craigb
18-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Hi All
I have had my system going now for nearly 4 years of trouble free use, and thourght it was time to upgrade some hardware. I am currently running

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 3
Memory (RAM): 1024 MB
CPU Info: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+
CPU Speed: 1805.9 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: RADEON 9800 PRO | RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport
CD / DVD Drives: D: ASUS DRW-1604P
COM Ports: COM3 | COM1
LPT Ports: LPT1
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 111.8GB | E: 111.8GB
Hard Disks - Free: C: 54.5GB | E: 72.9GB
USB Controllers: 3 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: American Megatrends Inc.
Product Make: K8N
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 08/16/04 | A M I - 8000416
Time Zone: New Zealand Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. 'K8N'
Modem: SoftK56 Data Fax Voice Speakerphone CARP
Communications cable between two computers

Would $500 more or less get me more speed in the graphic department, and what would I need to get for a noticeable increase eg. would new cpu and graphics card be enough, and what brands do the experts recommend. Although I am not a gaming nut, I would like to be able to run games at the higher settings. 4 years ago, my current set-up was OK, but I think now maybe its time for an upgrade as some games are getting more resource hungry.

Thanks
Craig

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Probably need another mobo / CPU. And it'll probably use different ram, besides DDR ram.

Since thats only a 754 pin.

I've got the same mobo but never used it

Metla
18-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Graig,

Sorry I hadn't yet replied to your PM, Been working in wellington and coming back to Wanganui on the weekends, So not only do I not have much time, Im knackered when I do.

Imo, You need to do a full upgrade, otherwise you will end up sourcing out-dated parts that won't deliver the power-per-dollar you would be expecting. Everything changes so fast with PC's, Your upgrade cycle is usually less then two years from purchase before you find the new gear won't fit.

On the plus side you can still make use of your case, Optical drives,harddrive, and just bolt in a new Mobo, cpu and ram.

Ram is stupidly cheap nowadays.

The video card purchase is still the same issue it has always been, Spend as much as you are prepared to.

There is a "Lets build a PC" thread in the other forum, with links to various configurations.

craigb
19-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Thank you for the advise.

Josh, if your still in Wellington, we'll have to meet up for a beer.