PDA

View Full Version : Difference PCMCIA v PC Card v CardBus

A Team
18-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Hi, All. Is there any difference between these three types of laptop card configurations (PCMCIA v PC Card v CardBus)? I have looked at many web pages including TradeMe sites that indicate they might all be one and the same. Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 05:28 PM
Basically theyre the same thing, but ones later than the other

As it says here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC_card)

A Team
18-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks, Speedy G.
Is there such a thing as a Desktop internalwireless modem? Can't seem to find any.
Cheers

ughnz
18-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi, All. Is there any difference between these three types of laptop card configurations (PCMCIA v PC Card v CardBus)? I have looked at many web pages including TradeMe sites that indicate they might all be one and the same. Cheers

They are all different in the following ways:

PCMCIA is based on the ISA bus. Also defined the standards relating to the connector type card thickness etc.

PC Card is based on PCI bus. Uses the same connector standards from the PCMCIA spec but will not normally work in a PCMCIA slot based on the ISA bus.

CardBus is the new standard based in part on PCI-E and uses a different connector and card style / thickness to the PCMCIA spec. These will not fit in a PCMCIA slot.

To make matters worse there is a type I and type II for the PCMCIA, which simply means that one is twice as thick as the other and will not fit in a single PCMCIA slot.

Hope this helps.

A Team
18-05-2008, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Ughnz. Totally at odds with the WikiPaedia article Speedy G directed me to, so not really thast much better off!

A Team
18-05-2008, 06:10 PM
So;
What cards will fit in a CardBus slot (besides CardBus)?
What cards will fit in a PC Card slot (besides PC Card)?
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Whatever fits I spose

Just make sure its the right voltage

ughnz
18-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks, Ughnz. Totally at odds with the WikiPaedia article Speedy G directed me to, so not really thast much better off!

You are not alone. Many PC shops are not even aware that PCMCIA and PC CARD (Cardbus) are different. To make matters worse many market the PC CARD ones as PCMCIA even thou they are not.

I have three notebooks with each of the different types of cards and it is still hard for many to understand without giving them a hands on.

ughnz
18-05-2008, 06:22 PM
So;
Cheers

As speedy says what ever fits. Normally the slots are keyed to prevent the wrong voltage card being inserted and if it does go in it normally will not power up and be seen by the OS.

A Team
18-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks to you both.

Chilling_Silence
19-05-2008, 12:49 AM
Try & stick with USB if possible, avoids many of the issues as you're discovering :D

williamF
19-05-2008, 05:06 AM
card bus (newer PCMCIA) based on PCI wont work or even fit on on the ISA based PCMCIA slots as i have discovered on some older (12+ year old toshiba and compaq) laptops. laptops made late last century will work with the (more) modern PCMCIA cards but today it is shifting to (pcmcia) express cards (laptop equivelent to PCIe i think) which has drifted from the old pcmcia standard of thickness and width etc and found on some mobile internet cards

Graham L
19-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Any card will fit any slot. Just push harder. :banana

Nomad
19-05-2008, 09:11 PM
So;
Cheers

Cardbus will work with 32bit cardbus cards or PCMCIAs.
PC Cards the older one will work with probably type I and II but not 32bit cardbus.

It won't power up and may not fit .. and the Windows will not recognise it or see it.

Edit. If you are still thinking of this wireless issue.
The cheapest and fastest way is probably get a wireless router with network cable connection and just plug it into your old laptop. No extra parts to buy. The router most likely would give you a free network cable anyway. The other PCs can just use wireless and share the internet and network with your computers.

The other way is get a USB wireless network device - if and when available. This way the router can be placed in the lounge and turned on 24/7 and each PC at their desire just power on the computer and use the net ... anytime.

Nomad
19-05-2008, 09:18 PM
My P3 2000 laptop is doing just that. Wireless ADSL router is connected by cable. Flasher PC downstairs is connected by wireless - to share one of my hard drive partition and the internet. It saves me getting a Cardbus or USB wireless network device and that its a old laptop when I get a flasher PC I might just get a internal wireless card anyway. Or that some PCs and all laptops these days have free builtin wireless anyway.

I didn't wanna waste my money.