PDA

View Full Version : Reinstall of ZoneAlarm

MPG
18-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi

ZoneAlarm have suggested a reinstallation of ZA to solve my problem of ZA having gone awol on the desktop. The procedure appears quite complicated but appears to be so as it seems a clean install is required. The complications seem to revolve around removing all traces of the old install. I am comfortable in doing that. However, there are some preliminary steps that I am less certain about. They are as follows:

1. Click "Start", "Run", type "Msconfig", click "OK".

2. Click "Startup Tab", remove all checks

3. Click "Service Tab", place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services", remove all checks from everything else, click "OK"

4. Restart computer

My concern I guess is because I don't know what these steps will do. Will it change anything permanently? Will I need to reset anything after I have reinstalled ZA? I would appreciate any information about what these steps will do. I would like some assurance that this is an appropriate and 'good' thing to do.

Call me a 'synical old bastard' but I do like to know what is going on before jumping in.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Michael

wainuitech
18-05-2008, 12:07 PM
You shouldn't need to disable any of the other services.

What version of Windows do you have, the reason for asking is ZA even when you uninstall it will leave traces every where, Eg: The System Folder.

If you want to remove ZA completely
The complications seem to revolve around removing all traces of the old install. then All of these have to be removed, as well as from the registry.

Have you tried uninstalling from add/remove programs (XP) the reinstalling again ?

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Theres a post here somewhere, on how to remove it completely.

I got an email a while ago from Zonelabs, on how to remove everything (which I havent got now, but its pasted in here somewhere)

You have to uninstall it delete its folders in program files, and remove / delete its entries in the registry

wainuitech
18-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Are These the full instructions (http://forum.zonelabs.org/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=AllowAccess&message.id=103) you had speedy ??

They are the ones I use.

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2008, 12:46 PM
It looks like WHAT someone from Zonelabs sent to me in an email.

BUT shorter..

MPG
18-05-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am using XP Home with all the latest updates (last installed yesterday). Perhaps in my first message I shouldn't have said "...removing all traces...". No, I haven't attempted to remove the programme using "add/remove programmes". I thought I would use the steps given by ZA. My concerns relate to the initial steps (as indicated in my earlier message). I am still not sure what those steps do, whether they are necessary and whether they alter anything premanently. Cen anyone reassure me that it is OK to go ahead?

I am posting below the full message with all the steps I received from Tech Support at ZA.

Thanks for your help guys!
Michael

From Tech Support ZA

Click Start, Run, type Msconfig in the run box, and click OK. Once in Msconfig, click the Startup Tab, and remove the checks from everything. Now click the Service Tab, place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services." Now remove checks from everything and click OK. Restart your computer.

Please make sure that you have the latest version downloaded first, this becomes the full version when you put your license key into it:

http://www.zonealarm.com/trial

Now follow the steps below:

01.) Right click the ZA icon (if present) and choose shut down
02.) Click on Start -> Programs -> ZoneAlarm
03.) RIGHT-click on Uninstall ZoneAlarm Security, then select Properties
04.) Under Target you will see the following line (the actual drive may be
different on your system):

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe"

Change it to:

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

(add a space and then the /clean)

05.) Click Apply, then OK to save the new command line.
06.) Click on Start -> Programs -> ZoneAlarm -> Uninstall ZoneAlarm
Security
07.) Click Uninstall to run the uninstaller, and choose OK or yes to any
security alerts that pop up.
08.) Say Yes when being prompted for the removal of all files.
09.) Reboot when prompted
10.) Go to Start -> My Computer (XP) or open My Computer from your
desktop.
11.) Double click the C: drive
12.) Double click the Windows folder (it may also be called WINNT in some
cases)
13.) Locate and delete the Internet Logs folder here
14.) Double click the System32 folder
15.) Locate and delete the Zone Labs folder here (if present)
16.) Close this window
17.) Clear your Windows temporary file cache by following the steps below:

- Go to Start -> Run
- Type %temp% and click OK
- Select all of these files and delete them
- Empty your recycle bin

18.) Reinstall using the file you downloaded earlier

pctek
18-05-2008, 04:47 PM
1. Click "Start", "Run", type "Msconfig", click "OK".
2. Click "Startup Tab", remove all checks

This removes things from your startup - it doesn't remove them from your computer.
However I would amend it to say Remove all checks (ticks) from Zone Alarm only.

3. Click "Service Tab", place a check in "Hide All Microsoft Services", remove all checks from everything else, click "OK"

Same again, look for Zone Alarm services and disable them.

Not that I have ever done any of that when removing ZA.

MPG
19-05-2008, 09:06 AM
Thanks pctek! I have checked in the Startup Tab and can'y find anything that looks like ZA (may explain why it is not starting up). I have also checked the Service Tab and can find only 1 reference to ZA (TrueVector). I think I will play things conservatively and only disable references to ZA.

Thanks guys.

beeswax34
19-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Run CCleaner after all this just to clean up any entries left in the Registry.