PDA

View Full Version : French Accents Keyboard

Tyroneb
17-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Hey,
You know how you get those external usb numberpads for laptop users. Can you get these but with like letters that have accents? I would prefer to be able to type a for instance without having to use alt codes etc..
Thanks

TGoddard
17-05-2008, 03:50 PM
You can get alternative keyboard layouts but getting accented characters with a standard US keyboard is easy using the right software. I use X11's compose key system (does not run on Windows). For example to get I type <compose key> <apostrophe> 'e'. To get I type <compose> <comma> 'c'. I set the compose key on my system to be the otherwise useless 'win key'.

The result is that you can get hundreds of accented characters without using any extra hardware. All you have to do is set aside one key for triggering the compose operation.

If you look I'm sure there will be software to do the equivalent under Windows.

coldot
17-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Tyroneb, I think you will discover that such a device would cost$$ because it would need built-in clever circuitry (ICs etc.) The keyboard wires are all used up for existing functions and while you can have duplicate number keypads it would be more difficult to have previously un-keyed symbols. In MS Word you can do as TGoddard suggests. In Word I get by pressing ctrl+apostrophe and then e. If you are using Word check Insert - Symbol and see the reference to Shortcut Key.

simro
17-05-2008, 08:25 PM
You might be able to find one in other countries online stores. Places like New Caledonia, Tahiti or Eastern Canada would have them in stock as they speak french. I doubt you would want to order one from across the world in France, as that would cost a awful lot. I dont think you would find them locally somehow.

gary67
17-05-2008, 08:54 PM
What about French Akaroa?

:clap