PDA

View Full Version : Editing remote files from EeePC

jcr1
17-05-2008, 09:22 AM
How can I set up an editor on my EeePC? To edit files on my Debian server.
I can use ssh, then use vi to edit the file, but I find vi (or vim) really hard going:confused:
I use sftp drive, from my windows machine, which treats the directories on the linux machine, just as if they're directories on windows - easy.
Maybe my expectations are too high and I should just tough it out with vi, like the programmers of old:lol:

pcuser42
17-05-2008, 01:57 PM
What version of Windows does your other PC run? XP Pro? If your Eee uses Windows as well, just use Remote Desktop to connect to your Windows machine and do it that way. Tedious, I know.

Graham L
17-05-2008, 03:39 PM
See if you've got the joe editor, which I like because it's just like the Turbo Pascal editor (which emulates WordPro). vi, and even worse, emacs are not intended for humans to use.

But a modern Linux should have a usable text editor, surely. Gedit?

Erayd
17-05-2008, 04:05 PM
But a modern Linux should have a usable text editor, surely. Gedit?Gedit requires a GUI - as he's wanting to edit files on a server, there probably isn't a GUI available.

Nano is an excellent commandline text editor installed on almost all Linux systems (and as your server is debian, you'll definitely have it). If you'd rather edit them with a nice GUI, why not mount the resource locally and edit them like any other local file?

jcr1
17-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Gedit requires a GUI - as he's wanting to edit files on a server, there probably isn't a GUI available.

Nano is an excellent commandline text editor installed on almost all Linux systems (and as your server is debian, you'll definitely have it). If you'd rather edit them with a nice GUI, why not mount the resource locally and edit them like any other local file?
Nano; good point, I use it all the time. A nice easy text editor. For some reason it never registered with me to use it in this context.
Thanks Bletch.

jcr1
17-05-2008, 10:03 PM
SWMBO has grabbed the windows machine, in the office. So, that leaves the EeePC for me (she wouldn't go near linux, shudder) to use in the lounge.
I've just used nano to edit a website, in development stage, for an organisation I'm involved with, which is on the Debian server.

It's worked extremely well. I won't worry about a GUI type editor.