PDA

View Full Version : AVAST HOME + XP

A Team
15-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi, All. I have just got so sick of AVG 8.0 (Free) and their forum gives no answers only consistent 'issues'. I have succumbed, and downloaded and installed Avast Home (Free).

Can someone with more experience than I answer the following;
Avast does not seem to retain the 'to be scanned' areas / drives, even though I set it to 'C' drive. Is that what it should do?
Although there is mention of it in the 'Help', it does not appear that the user can schedule a scan. Is that confined to the professional version?
Therefore, is the only method of scanning, manual?
Does it automatically scan incoming and outgoing e-mail?
How can I check?
It appears that Avast checks their website for updates every 4 hours. Is that 4 hours, or 4 hours of connected (on dialup) time?
Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Avast does not seem to retain the 'to be scanned' areas / drives, even though I set it to 'C' drive. Is that what it should do?

I think so

Although there is mention of it in the 'Help', it does not appear that the user can schedule a scan. Is that confined to the professional version?

Yup, thats only in the Pro version

Umm, yer I spose so, either by running Avast from the menu. Or right mouse on a hdd, then scan.

Does it automatically scan incoming and outgoing e-mail? How can I check?

Should do, open OL or OL Express the globe spins. Right mouse on the a in the taskbar / on access protection / details. If Internet Mail is enabled it scans incoming and outgoing email.

It appears that Avast checks their website for updates every 4 hours. Is that 4 hours, or 4 hours of connected (on dialup) time?

Pass, I'm on BB, and it updates more often than every 4 hrs. If there's an update

The differences between Home and Pro are here (http://avast.com/eng/avast-compare-home-professional.html)

A Team
15-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Thanks, Speedy G.
Questions arising;
It appears I could run a schedule scan via XP Scheduler. Any idea which 'exe' file I should use?
Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Umm might be ashavast.exe??

Altho the file you need may only be in the Pro version

Soon find out if it'll work or not

A Team
15-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Nah. Tried that one and every other 'exe' file in the directory. None did the business. Is there a way I can identify the file behind the 'Start' button?

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2008, 08:18 PM
What? What file behind the start button. I would give up.

If you want the option, buy the Pro version.

A Team
15-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Ta

Joe Blogs
15-05-2008, 08:25 PM
You can schedule avast (pro and free version)to scan when your screen saver is running.
Right click your desktop,
properties,
screen saver tab,
select avast
and configure from there

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 08:49 PM
If you don't like Avast or AVG, you could give AntiVir Free a try

www.freeav.com

beeswax34
15-05-2008, 09:19 PM
Try this .exe to scan:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe

JonB
16-05-2008, 07:54 PM
Use Windows Scheduler in XP to set up an auto-scan using Avast Home.

See this URL for full details, works like a charm.................
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=3796

JonB

A Team
16-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks, Jon B. Great idea, but I've run into the password problem in Windows. I'm the only user and don't need a password, but can't load a scheduled task without one, then I have to logon at bootup with the password!!!

Thanks, Joe Blogs. Yours is also a good idea, but if your screensaver turns on after, say 20 mins, you wouldn't want to be scanning every 20 mins would you?

Cheers