PDA

View Full Version : Dells Techical Support doesnt care about helping me

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 06:56 PM
hey all

I cant get any help from Dell Technical Support

bascly the motherboard needs replacing as its not accepting commands from the keyboard, this issue started when the computer was inside the warrinity period.

As its taken ages to get anywhere with the support people at Dell, the system is now outside the warrinity period and dell are not wanting to replace the motherboard

What can I do, who should I contact at dell here in New Zealand to solve this problem, I dont really want to contact Fair Go

thanks

Iain

Speedy Gonzales
15-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Take it to Dell or wherever you brought it. Tell them to fix it / deal with it

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 07:06 PM
got it from dell online/phone order

i would love for dell to fix it/deal with it

kersonan
15-05-2008, 07:09 PM
http://support.ap.dell.com/support/topics/topic.aspx/ap/shared/support/dellcare/en/byphone?c=nz&l=en&s=gen

any of the contact numbers there should do the trick, i've always found Dell support to be quite good, but there is of course limits to what a CSR can do for you.

Politely ask for your query to be escalated to a team leader or a supervisor and see how you get on there.

wainuitech
15-05-2008, 07:10 PM
When you first started having problems with the Computer, did they log the problem - If they did and it was still within warranty they should still be covering it, if they simply gave you the run around and didn't actually give you a reference number then its only your word against theirs that the problem happened while in warranty.

Before you start taking it further you unfortunately may have to be able to prove the problem occurred while in warranty.

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 07:23 PM
ive only been involved with the system since janurary, but the owner (family friend) had been pull her hair out while trying to fit it with dell support for a number of months

Maturafure Date; 14 feb 2007
issue first started; september 2007
todays date; 15 may 2008

when i came involved, back in januray, i contacted dell support but didn't get any useful help after spending 1hr on the phone

each time ive ask for a ref number from dell they wont give me one, instead intrusiting me to use the service tag as ID

this computer has given the term 'given the run around' a new meaning!!!!

kersonan
15-05-2008, 07:24 PM
When you first started having problems with the Computer, did they log the problem - If they did and it was still within warranty they should still be covering it, if they simply gave you the run around and didn't actually give you a reference number then its only your word against theirs that the problem happened while in warranty.

Before you start taking it further you unfortunately may have to be able to prove the problem occurred while in warranty.

Just extending on this

When ever you contact a computer vendor around the size of Dell or your ISP etc make sure you get case numbers from the CSR that handles your call. this makes further contacts a lot faster and easier as they will be able to lookup the details of your previous calls and see when you first tried to get help with your fault.

Case numbers are your best friend in so many cases.

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Just extending on this

When ever you contact a computer vendor around the size of Dell or your ISP etc make sure you get case numbers from the CSR that handles your call. this makes further contacts a lot faster and easier as they will be able to lookup the details of your previous calls and see when you first tried to get help with your fault.

Case numbers are your best friend in so many cases.

I love case/reference numbers, I always ask for them, but in this case dell didn't want to give me one each time i asked for one, instead tell me to use the service tag aka serial number

kersonan
15-05-2008, 07:41 PM
I love case/reference numbers, I always ask for them, but in this case dell didn't want to give me one each time i asked for one, instead tell me to use the service tag aka serial number

Thats really odd, the whole concept of case/reference numbers is like a helpdesk backbone, i'd be taking the escalate to team leader/supervisor path with this personally.

I'm also curious about this

"bascly the motherboard needs replacing as its not accepting commands from the keyboard"

could you perhaps expand on this a little, your fault may not be as bad as you think.

robbyp
15-05-2008, 07:41 PM
It is difficult when you are dealing with call centres based overseas, who also ignore NZ consumer laws. I remember when Dell NZ quoted in the paper that they would eventually be using a NZ call centre for handling NZ customers, but that doesn't appear to have happened.

Anyway, you should write a letter, and also emailing it to them, detailing the timeline and the problem, and request that it is either fixed within a certain time period, or you would like a refund. Even if the problem ocurred now, you would still be covered by the CGA . Quote the CGA in your letter. They do have a NZ manager, although I am not sure if they are based in NZ, they are a NZ registered company, so must abide by the NZ consumer laws.

Their registered address is

Dell New Zealand Ltd
Simpson Grierson
Level 24
88 Shortland Street
Auckland

robbyp
15-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Thats really odd, the whole concept of case/reference numbers is like a helpdesk backbone, i'd be taking the escalate to team leader/supervisor path with this personally.

"bascly the motherboard needs replacing as its not accepting commands from the keyboard"

could you perhaps expand on this a little, your fault may not be as bad as you think.

Potentionly it could be just the keyboard, but I would expect that their helpdesk would have gone through the troubleshooting process to rule that out.
When I have dealt with htem in the past, I also didn't get a reference number. However they also couldn't solve my problem on the first call, as they always need someone to phone you back, and they always seem to phone at night, which I guess is day time in India. You can never seem to get to talk to the person you need to, at the time you phone them. They seem to have to phone you back at a time that suits them. Personally the only Dell thing I would buy now, is a monitor.

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 08:32 PM

when i was taking to the helpdesk after doing a number of tests, they recommended a replacement keyboard as the system was not accepting commands in either windows or bois/coms (pre-windows, montherboard setup)

robbyp
15-05-2008, 08:40 PM
when i was taking to the helpdesk after doing a number of tests, they recommended a replacement keyboard as the system was not accepting commands in either windows or bois/coms (pre-windows, montherboard setup)

Well did they supply a new one? I assume that it was an all in one system, with supplied mouse and keyboard.

tutaenui
15-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Have you tried running the "Dell Support centre" program that should be installed on the computer? It has a number of diagnosis programs that may help you isolate the problem.

wainuitech
15-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I see you put the following--
as the system was not accepting commands in either windows or bois/coms (pre-windows, montherboard setup)Don't know if this has been tried, but to make sure it is actually a hardware problem, what you should do is boot/ load a Live CD, something like Ubuntu, Knoppix, or any other Linux live CD. BUT from what you wrote above it does sound a lot like a Board problem.

What this does is bypasses the widows operating system, and runs from the CD. IF the keyboard/mouse etc, all work OK from a Live CD then the boards more than likely not the problem, BUT on the other hand if it still plays up on a Live CD then its more or less made sure it is the problem.

Yeah you should be able to get in the BIOS etc - You HAVE to make sure the MB is actually faulty, might look a bit OOPS! :blush: :o if its only a damaged OS - A damaged / corrupt windows Operating system can disable keyboards/mice etc.

Erayd
15-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Or the keyboard may be faulty, not the board...

somebody
15-05-2008, 09:51 PM
I've phoned Dell on numerous occasions for warranty issues, and they've happily handed over call reference numbers - in fact, one call taker insisted that I write it down in case there was any confusion at a later date. A technician arrived the next day and replaced a component as promised - much smoother and quicker than I expected.

SPARTAN 860
15-05-2008, 09:55 PM
Here is a tip, never ask Support for anything, give them everything they want, and follow the instructions. My dell speakers were damaged, and dell replaced them within the week. I told them about it, and they gave me a ref no. and said they would send in a replacement. It arrived very soon after that.

robbyp
15-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Here is a tip, never ask Support for anything, give them everything they want, and follow the instructions. My dell speakers were damaged, and dell replaced them within the week. I told them about it, and they gave me a ref no. and said they would send in a replacement. It arrived very soon after that.

Did they pick up the old ones. A friend of mine also had their speakers replaced, but they didn't want the old ones back.

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Or the keyboard may be faulty, not the board...

keyboard worked on another system, a new also keyboard didn't work on the system with the issue

this was one of the test that the helpdesk asked for, after this he started to think it was a motherboard issue

the mouse is working without any issue

Iain Palmer
15-05-2008, 10:32 PM
I see you put the following-- Don't know if this has been tried, but to make sure it is actually a hardware problem, what you should do is boot/ load a Live CD, something like Ubuntu, Knoppix, or any other Linux live CD. BUT from what you wrote above it does sound a lot like a Board problem.

What this does is bypasses the widows operating system, and runs from the CD. IF the keyboard/mouse etc, all work OK from a Live CD then the boards more than likely not the problem, BUT on the other hand if it still plays up on a Live CD then its more or less made sure it is the problem.

Yeah you should be able to get in the BIOS etc - You HAVE to make sure the MB is actually faulty, might look a bit OOPS! :blush: :o if its only a damaged OS - A damaged / corrupt windows Operating system can disable keyboards/mice etc.

good idea, ill try it, the help desk siad it was the motherboard
better safe than sorry

robbyp
15-05-2008, 11:59 PM
good idea, ill try it, the help desk siad it was the motherboard
better safe than sorry

If you have already tried another keyboard, and it didn't work, then the helpdesk are probably right, and it is a motherboard problem. They are then required to put it right. I am just wondering what dell expects someone to do if they don't have a another keyboard, and don't have the know-how to run a linux live cd.

Just wondering, is the keyboard has a PS plug, or a USB plug, and if it is a PS one, have you tried plugging in a USB one. I hope that the computers owner hasn't been unplugging the non usb cables when the computer is on, as that can damage the motherboard, as I have done that myself about 10 years ago with an old computer. USB cables you can hot swap, but not with many of the other cables.

Iain Palmer
16-05-2008, 12:18 AM
Just wondering, is the keyboard has a PS plug, or a USB plug, and if it is a PS one, have you tried plugging in a USB one. I hope that the computers owner hasn't been unplugging the non usb cables when the computer is on, as that can damage the motherboard, as I have done that myself about 10 years ago with an old computer. USB cables you can hot swap, but not with many of the other cables.

The computer only accepts USB, LAN, 56k modem, Printer parallel, specker 3.5mm connections, not a sight of any legacy connections like PS/2

being a base model I was kinna expecting PS/2 mouse and keyboard but its OS is vista home premium which was unexpected (was expecting home basic)

wainuitech
16-05-2008, 08:44 AM
This may sound silly but make sure the Keyboard has a USB plug only, NOT a PS2 with a USB adaptor. Those can often not work.

pctek
16-05-2008, 10:34 AM
So the mouse - which works, is USB too. And you just can't get the KB to work. At all, or is it intermittent?
Tried removing all references to a KB driver?

Tried different USB ports?

If the MB has an issue with the USB ports (or southbridge or something), then the mouse or other USB devices would have problems too.

Anyway, this is why you should buy a PC with proper manufacturers warranty not this 1 yr bull****.

robbyp
16-05-2008, 11:33 PM
So the mouse - which works, is USB too. And you just can't get the KB to work. At all, or is it intermittent?
Tried removing all references to a KB driver?

Tried different USB ports?

If the MB has an issue with the USB ports (or southbridge or something), then the mouse or other USB devices would have problems too.

Anyway, this is why you should buy a PC with proper manufacturers warranty not this 1 yr bull****.

Dell should still be helping them. If Dell have said that it is a motherboard problem, they should be getting tehir A into G, and replacing it. The one year warrenty is irrelevent, as they are protected by the CGA. Fair Go could be another avenue, if they are refusing to honour the CGA. People think that when they buy off Dell, that they are buying from an overseas company, but Dells sold in NZ are sold by Dell New Zealand Ltd, so you are still protected by the same consumer laws, that you are if you buy from a local shop. I persoanlly don't like the way Dell operates in NZ, and how they overcharge NZers compared to what they charge people in the USA. For example some of their monitors are double the price for NZers, this is despite the very high NZ dollar.