PDA

View Full Version : Darned DVD Playback Dilema re-visited

tuiruru
15-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Sorry if this is the wrong way to go about this but I wasn't sure that if I added to the thread i started a while back whether the people who originally responded would answer my further questions so here I am......

For those who didn't look at the original post it can be viewed here:
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=89607&goto=newpost

Jontee and Feersumendjinn directed me to two codec sites - Jontee which one of those AC3 options do I need ("Filter", "File" etc)? and to both of you (and anyone else that joins in) once I've downloaded them wot do I do with/how do I install the files? eg Will installing all of them have an adverse affect on the laptop's speed/performance etc

Thanks in advance - you've been great so far!

PS I have phoned Canon support who agreed that it could be a Codec problem but couldn't tell me which one I needed because they "don't have a lot of knowledge about third party software" ie Windows Media Player

Trev
15-05-2008, 01:09 PM
Did you try VLC as I suggested in your last thread. This player works most of the time when others fail.
:)

wratterus
15-05-2008, 01:36 PM
And put on K-lite codex (http://www.free-codecs.com/K_lite_codec_pack_download.htm).

3.9.0 Full.

tuiruru
15-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Hi Trev

Trying VLC was next on my list! I've actually spent quite a lot of time sniffing round the web for free "alternatives" to the whole DVD/Media playback scenario and VLC figures prominently so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Have you used pieces of software called Imgburn, Auto GK and VBurner? If so wot's the verdict?

Hi Wratterus
so I download the K-Lite codex - does it install them itself or what do I have to do?

wratterus
15-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Umm, no. You download it then install it. Like any other program.

ImgBurn is a great bit of software, but not for what you want?

Trev
15-05-2008, 03:09 PM
No I havn't used Imgburn, Auto GK or VBurner.
:)

autechre
16-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Have you used pieces of software called Imgburn, Auto GK and VBurner? If so wot's the verdict?

I have used:
ImgBurn - for burning CD/DVDs - very good free alternative to Nero etc.
AutoGK - for compressing DVDs into CD sized .avi chunks - also a good program