PDA

View Full Version : How long should it take for a PC retailer?

robbyp
15-05-2008, 12:34 PM
How long should it take for a PC retailer to fix or replace a PC component under warrenty? So far I have been waiting 3 weeks after I sent back a faulty part as per their instructions, and so far I haven't heard anything from them. I have also emailed them last night, but haven't yet heard from them.

utopian201
15-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Can you call them? Name and shame I say :)

Thebananamonkey
15-05-2008, 12:36 PM
Which retailer is it?

robbyp
15-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Which retailer is it?

Its Ascent. They are normally really good, but I assume something has gone wrong with their suppliers.

PaulD
15-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Or your email. Have you tried logging into your account and checking "Returns Status" or ringing them?

pctek
15-05-2008, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't even wait 3 weeks for my wholesaler to check and send me replacements.

robbyp
15-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Or your email. Have you tried logging into your account and checking "Returns Status" or ringing them?

Yes I emailed them last night but no reply yet. The return status on their website says 'completed', but it has been like that since I first checked last week. I will give them 48 hours to reply to the email before I follow it up with them. Really I just wondered how long it normally takes for a component to be fixed or replaced under warrenty, as I think 3 weeks is getting on the long side.

wainuitech
15-05-2008, 01:24 PM
If its a warranty claim -

What would normally happen is you take the PC back to who ever you got it from, in this case Ascent, They may test the component to make sure its faulty, then they contact the supplier / vendor and do what's called a RMA - the RMA is usually issued right away, the component is shipped back to the supplier, who then tests it to make sure it is faulty, then a replacement is sent back to the Shop, and reinstalled in the PC, and good shop/ repair place will also test the PC once the parts are returned to make sure it working as expected.

NOW - what can be a hold up, is if the suppliers don't have any replacement parts in stock and are waiting, or it can also depend on the workload of the supplier, if they have a backlog of work, it could take a week or more till yours is looked at.

Example: I had a motherboard and a HD fail, the board was sent and received back with in 5 days, the HD is still not returned. This was approx 2 weeks ago, and they both went to the same place / Same time / same box.

Neil McC
15-05-2008, 01:35 PM
I've been waiting since the 28th last month for an item I ordered.The trains must've slowed down.

PaulD
15-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Or the boats. International sea freight is moving to larger ships carrying more but there are fewer of them.

I wouldn't wait 48hrs before ringing them.

wainuitech
15-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Or the boats. International sea freight is moving to larger ships carrying more but there are fewer of them.

I wouldn't wait 48hrs before ringing them. Totally Agree - Ring Ascent and ask what's the hold up, IF there is some sort of delay its only polite to keep the customer informed of a delay and for what reason.

SolMiester
15-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Well, I just got notifiied by ascent that my PSU RMA will be honoured even though the supplier borg'd!......

I know ascent is slightly more expensive, but at the end of the day, i know they are supporting me.

Kudos to Ascent I say

Now to register a Auction as I couldnt wait for the replacement.

robbyp
15-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Well, I just got notifiied by ascent that my PSU RMA will be honoured even though the supplier borg'd!......

I know ascent is slightly more expensive, but at the end of the day, i know they are supporting me.

Kudos to Ascent I say

Now to register a Auction as I couldnt wait for the replacement.

They ended up phoning me back to apogise that they had been a communication break down. Anyway they are going to credit me for the part as they can't get a replacement, so I have to repurchase a similar one though their website.
At the end of the day they are only human, and are one of the better computer stores around.

wratterus
15-05-2008, 04:47 PM
They ended up phoning me back to apogise that they had been a communication break down. Anyway they are going to credit me for the part as they can't get a replacement, so I have to repurchase a similar one though their website.
At the end of the day they are only human, and are one of the better computer stores around.

:thumbs:

fnphoto
15-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Not sure about returns but for the fourth time in a row I have had computer builds take way longer than the 7 to 9 days that Ascent say it will take them to get it to you. Twice it has taken more than a month. I have had some very embarasing moments with customers!!
They seem to be quick with parts though, normally next day to the other end of the island...