PDA

View Full Version : GMail Spam sent from my account

JMoore
14-05-2008, 11:20 PM
Hi there, this is the second time this has happened. Basically, I got to Uni today and a mate told me he had received an email from me at 5am asking him to buy some my product. Sure enough, I logged into my GMail account and a whole bunch of delivery status notifications and even some replies stared at me from the inbox. I thought at first that the spammer must have been faking my email and had used an exploit to gain access to my contacts but have just found the sent spam message in my trash. It's quite embarassing to be honest, as GMail adds everyone I have ever sent an email to, as a contact: potential employers, family, the whole lot.

Does this mean that someone has my password?
What can I do to prevent this happening in the future?

Any help would be appreciated.

sal
14-05-2008, 11:49 PM
This recent news item (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080510-security-flaw-turns-gmail-into-open-relay-server.html) could possibly have something to do with it but if emails are in your trash/sent folders, it could be what you suspect (someone knowing your password).

kahawai chaser
14-05-2008, 11:53 PM
Maybe change your password and security question. and perhaps run a spyware program...