PDA

View Full Version : Anyone In Christchurch Help PC Problem?

Winston001
14-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I've just been speaking to a university student in Christchurch about her Dell laptop but the problem is way out of my league - especially at a distance.

Her laptop is now displaying the blue screen of death when she turns it on showing instructions to disconnect new hardware, turn off and try again. There is no new hardware. No way to turn off either except hold down power button. Can't get to Safe Mode. Been turned off and on quite a few times.

I thought she'd be surrounded by geeks but seemingly not.

Who should she go to with this?

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2008, 10:45 PM
If the hdd can be removed, put it in a working system and scan it

wainuitech
14-05-2008, 11:09 PM
What you can also try if she has the Windows CD, assuming its XP, boot from the CD, select R to enter the recovery console, at the prompt type in chkdsk /r

That will chack the HD for faults and attempt to repair any it finds.

Winston001
15-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks guys. I'm 500km away from her and she won't be able to do this stuff herself so I was hoping there would be a member who could look at it - as a paid job - and treat her fairly.

DeSade
15-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Is it under warranty?
I could take a look but I am not qualified.

Winston001
15-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the offer Desade, it is out of warranty. I've had a pm so will follow up on that.

wratterus
15-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Theres not many, if any <insert cheese here> pc techs in chch who post on PF1. Strange, pretty much everywhere else there is! :confused:

DeSade
15-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I am no novice thats for sure but no paperwork to back it up hehe
I work a tech support type job build and repair PC's on the side.

wratterus
15-05-2008, 03:46 PM
Ahh. :p

I knew that would bring them out of the woodwork. ;)

DeSade
15-05-2008, 03:58 PM
Smart a$$ :)

pctek
15-05-2008, 03:59 PM
rob99

Details under his profile.

Lurking
15-05-2008, 10:36 PM
I've just been speaking to a university student in Christchurch about her Dell laptop but the problem is way out of my league - especially at a distance.

Her laptop is now displaying the blue screen of death when she turns it on showing instructions to disconnect new hardware, turn off and try again. There is no new hardware. No way to turn off either except hold down power button. Can't get to Safe Mode. Been turned off and on quite a few times.

I thought she'd be surrounded by geeks but seemingly not.

Who should she go to with this?

My brother-in-law is at Canty Varsity and he used to manufacture computers in Aussie and program them.

Send your email addy to highbright33@yahoo.com and I will give you his email address

Lurking

ps that's if you haven't managed to have someone put it to rights.

lurks.

notechyet
16-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Ahh. :p

I knew that would bring them out of the woodwork. ;)
And, what about you wratterus?
Are you busy in this field? Have you got an outlet of some sort?
NT

wratterus
16-05-2008, 09:12 AM
And, what about you wratterus?
Are you busy in this field? Have you got an outlet of some sort?
NT

I work in the Nelson area. ;)

Battleneter2
16-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Theres not many, if any <insert cheese here> pc techs in chch who post on PF1. Strange, pretty much everywhere else there is! :confused:

I am in CHCH but respectfully no longer do end user support.

wratterus
16-05-2008, 09:18 AM
Good call there. :clap

BTW, in case anyone was wondering, the reason I said that was not to offend anyone, I was not intending that, just wanted to see actually how many people were in that area.

You Cantabs don't seem to be proud of your home town - not one of you so far has your real location in your profile! :p

Battleneter2
16-05-2008, 09:42 AM
haha no worries.

You Cantabs don't seem to be proud of your home town

Canterbury is a region and Christchurch is the second largest City(not town) in New Zealand, now I am really offended........... ok I am over it. :)

wratterus
16-05-2008, 09:49 AM
:p

DeSade
16-05-2008, 10:22 AM
heh I never filled in anything on the profile

Winston001
16-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Hey guys and gels, thanks for the offers of help which I appreciate. The update is that next day the damned thing started up good as gold so.......I'll just sit an wait for another late night text in panic. :D

It's interesting and a bit frustrating. This is the second time I've asked for help here for another person and each time you good people have come up trumps with offers to assist. And both times the problems which looked serious (from a distance) disappeared by themselves.

So I'm a little embarrassed to be wasting your time. I'd just like to say thankyou to the Press F1 community, it really is a privilege to belong to such a decent group of people + one American. :D