PDA

View Full Version : Mouse not working

Nomad
14-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi, mouse is not working.

Computer is a IBM Thinkpad laptop. It was working fine yesterday.

When the computer starts there is not even the mouse cursor.

Neither the trackpoint builtin mouse nor the ps2 external mouse is working. I have tried a different ps2 mouse. I have checked the bios and the mouse is enabled. I have checked the IBM software and that is also enabled, before it was "auto detect".

I cannot get into the mouse hardware properties, because I don't know how to use the keyboard and open the + sign folder. But when I got into device manager there was nothing showing with the branch open ... which it normally does if an exclamation mark or such was inside it.

I have a old serial port mouse, can I install this and if so .. how do I do it?

wainuitech
14-05-2008, 09:01 PM
You can try using the numeric keys as a mouse, never tried this on a laptop though, works good on a standard keyboard, so you may need to plug one in- on the keyboard, press the left shift, left alt and Num lock keys, press enter to allow when the Box Pops up (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Keys.jpg), then you can use the numeric keys to move as a mouse ( some what slower) the number 5 key is left click.

Eg: 4 = left , 6 = right, 8 = up, 2 = down 5 =left click

Nomad
14-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Hi thanks, I have mouse keys enabled now.

As a long term thing. Is this fixable or if the ps2 thingy is busted, can I use a com port mouse or is this event going to let me purchase a new computer earlier ... I had this laptop since end of 2000.

:thanks

Nomad
14-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I checked mouse hardware properties - it says the device is working properly ......

linw
14-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the tip, Wainui. Works with Vista as well.

Seems peculiar that both mouse sub systems are AWOL. Sort of hints at some deeper malaise common to both. (I sense a new machine coming in your future!). I would try deleting the mouse and re-booting to see if it will find it and restore the driver.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

feersumendjinn
14-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Does the laptop have USB ports, if so try a USB mouse.

Nomad
15-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I have uninstalled the mouse and rebooted and it still does not work.

I used a boot disk (windows 98 startup disk) but I don't think that has mouse drivers, b/c I wanted to see if DOS worked with the mouse with a game. I used this bootdisk in a good working computer .. but the mouse does not work either ....

So .. tomorrow I can get a hold of a USB mouse and try it out. Any thing I need to do other than plug it in and boot up windows?

When I have time I may also backup my HDD and then reghost my HDD and see if it works.

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Try a live linux CD of some sort. That should easily tell you if it's a hardware or software issue

Nomad
16-05-2008, 08:57 PM
Can someone provide me a link to a linux live CD?

Thanks.

I tried a USB mouse today and it worked.

I might just reload the ghost file and see if the mouse works.

This laptop was bought 1yr old from end of 2000. The screen is loose that it flips back sometimes, some lettering on the keyboard is missing but I am a touch typist. The spacebar has lost some bounce but still works now .. it sorta fixed itself .. so no longer needs more force to press it.

Nomad
16-05-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks, redid Ghost image and now mouse is working ... :confused:

I'll just maybe delay the new PC by a yr or two. Get the best investment outta it (!).