PDA

View Full Version : 486-GVT-2 freezes up on soft reboot

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I rebuilt my oldest computer after the motherboard died, but I'm having problems with the new one.

It's a FIC 486-GVT-2 and while it boots up fine, if you press Ctrl+Alt+Del or hit reset button it reboots, but after POST it just goes blank screen with blinking cursor instead of the drive/port listing etc and won't do anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Wow, a 486 thats still alive?.....I would imagine soft boot switch is incorrect.
What o/s are you using.....

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Sorry, I meant either soft reboot via keyboard or hard reboot via reset switch, either way it hangs.

If I completely power it down and then back up again, it's fine.

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Ummm, check BIOS for reset settings...hard to say, I have seen a board that old in like 8 years or something....my memory isnt what it should be....
Having a reset switch hooked up to mobo, would state the mobo is capable of this but something is nagging me about this.....

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Ummm, check BIOS for reset settings...hard to say, I have seen a board that old in like 8 years or something....my memory isnt what it should be....
Having a reset switch hooked up to mobo, would state the mobo is capable of this but something is nagging me about this.....

BIOS settings don't have anything to do with reset..

http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/F/FIRST-INTERNATIONAL-COMPUTER-INC-486-486-GVT-2.html

There's definitely a reset switch header on the board (J9), into which I plugged the reset switch. But then it also does it from keyboard too so I don't think it's the switch.

Oh and OS is DOS 6.22 and WFWG 3.11

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Ah there you go then, knew it was along time ago a saw a 486 board...soft reset from software....there is no settings in BIOS on this?, maybe I'm getting confused with ACPI setting for standby etc.....

There is still a nag!.....

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Here's a video to show exactly what happens:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agent_24/2490858917/

(I wait until everything loads then hit the reset button)

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 05:53 PM
What happens if you type WIN? or has it hung?

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Once it gets to the stage where it's just the flashing cursor, the keyboard becomes completely non-responsive. But it's not in DOS at that point.

It appears to hang just before displaying the system config table.

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 09:51 PM
does it do the same when you use windows 3.11 to restart?

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Is that actually possible? I mean, you can quit back to DOS but as far as I know there is no reboot button.

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 10:12 PM
!!!!....LOL, I cant remember.....I'm sure we did on Novell network....what version ?, workgroup?

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Wait a minute, i'm thinking of nt 3.51!!...

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Wait a minute, i'm thinking of nt 3.51!!...

That explains it :lol:

Well, I got a new BIOS chip (old one was EPROM) and put the latest BIOS on it - but it just does the same thing :crying

I think I'll go to sleep :badpc:

williamF
15-05-2008, 12:16 PM
actually i do have a few 486's myself, an (w)intel 486 toshiba (windows 95) and a cyrix 486 desktop triple booting 3.11, NT4.0 and 98 :nerd: . (hens teeth anyone), but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue why the mobo is hanging on "warm" reboot. can you get into bios, do a default settings restore (remove the bios battery if it has one instead of a RTC chip with one on it). if you can use a DOS boot disk with killcmos on it to reset the bios/cmos to null values and reset the settings but although i do doubt whether it is bios. i assume everything on that motherboard is actually functional etc including ram and HDD.

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 12:28 PM
actually i do have a few 486's myself, an (w)intel 486 toshiba (windows 95) and a cyrix 486 desktop triple booting 3.11, NT4.0 and 98 :nerd: . (hens teeth anyone), but to be honest i wouldnt have a clue why the mobo is hanging on "warm" reboot. can you get into bios, do a default settings restore (remove the bios battery if it has one instead of a RTC chip with one on it). if you can use a DOS boot disk with killcmos on it to reset the bios/cmos to null values and reset the settings but although i do doubt whether it is bios. i assume everything on that motherboard is actually functional etc including ram and HDD.

I've tried clearing the BIOS settings, I also told uniflash to clear all CMOS settings when I flashed the new chip (with a BIOS version 4 years newer than what I had), I doubt it's the BIOS either.

I'm using this board because it was the only working socket 3 I had that didn't have one of those stupid dallas RTC+battery boxes soldered to the board.

The battery is a normal button type and while it is also soldered to the board, it will be much easier/cheaper to replace (actually I'd replace it with a cr2032 holder)

I'm pretty sure everything works on it.

I took out all the unnessecary cards, swapped video card, CPU and IDE controller and still had the problem.

I think the RAM is fine, guess I should probably test it and make sure...

williamF
15-05-2008, 12:45 PM
okies, you may have to live with powering off and turning on to reboot unless the CPU is at fault, although was the CPU working in the old mobo when it was working? it might not be clearing the CPU when the cpu's reset line is tripped. are you using the CPU from the old mobo or the one with that mobo you have

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 01:00 PM
okies, you may have to live with powering off and turning on to reboot unless the CPU is at fault, although was the CPU working in the old mobo when it was working? it might not be clearing the CPU when the cpu's reset line is tripped. are you using the CPU from the old mobo or the one with that mobo you have

I'm not using the old CPU, I upgraded from 486SX 33mhz to 486DX2 66mhz

But I also tried a different 486DX2 and it did the same thing. I could try the old one I guess

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 02:33 PM
So I put my old 33mhz CPU in but it started running at 40mhz and caused random reboots and freezes

So I rechecked the jumper settings after getting a scan of the original manual from mobokive and found this: http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/wrong_jumpers.PNG

Someone had set the jumpers to the highlighted settings (which doesn't make sense because it's using half from intel and half from cyrix and must be an invalid combination)

So once I changed JCX1 to open instead of short and I tried it again. It worked fine. Then I put the DX2 back in and that also worked fine. :D now I can reboot without freezing! :punk

williamF
15-05-2008, 09:55 PM
congratulations. :thumbs: it must have been used on a cyrix based 486 CPU in its previous life:D

Agent_24
16-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Maybe.. though I don't know how well that would have worked since one of the jumpers was set for intel.

Maybe that's why they got rid of it :lol: