PDA

View Full Version : Broadband and Internal BB Modem

A Team
14-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Hi.
I'm contemplating switching from Dial-Up to BB, availing myself of the current T'Com offer of six months at $16.95, then $29.95, thereafter. the data allowance is $200 Mb per month. Several Questions; How much data is that and does it mean if I downloaded XP SP3 it would blow it? Are internal BB Modems available? I've searched a few NZ sites without success. Any ideas?
Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2008, 02:41 PM
Yup if u get SP3 which is 316mb thats the 200mb download for a mth gone.

Depending on what the go is for that plan, you'll either pay for whatever else you download, or go down in speed.

Dick Smith used to sell Internal modems, but if youre going to network with someone else (or someone else wants to use the net as well), you cant.

pctek
14-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm contemplating T'Com
How much data is that ?
Are internal BB Modems available?

Don't. Worst ISP of the lot.

Bugger all. You'd use it in 5 minutes.

Yes but I wouldn't - if budget is an issue theres plenty on Trademe..........

A Team
14-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks, Guys. Very helpful (and pursuasive!)

Bantu
14-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Keep in mind it is not just what you download, it is also what you upload.
During loading a web page for instance or checking email there is data going back and forth, all that is counted.

With Broadband ADSL you are connected to the internet while the computer is turned on. Rather than just an internal DSL Modem look into something with a built in firewall. Router/Modem or something along those lines.

Take a look at options on http://www.linksys.co.nz or http://netgear.co.nz/
200Mb a month is not a lot, I have single files on my PC bigger than that.

drcspy
14-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I can EASILY download 200mb in 20 mins........

Driftwood
14-05-2008, 02:57 PM
If you want to do some research, check out all the ISP's & what they offer.
Compare the speed, data cap & cost.
Some of them will provide the equipment in the price if you sign up for a fixed term.
You may have to change your phone account to get the best deal.

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't. Worst ISP of the lot.

Bugger all. You'd use it in 5 minutes.

Yes but I wouldn't - if budget is an issue theres plenty on Trademe..........

Ummm, yeah, while I agree they are not flash, I cant complain at present.

Before go large came along, i would get around 2.5MB down, however that went to custard when users started using go large, I put up with it for several month, then after a new router started complaining once a week as my rate went down to about 1.8Mb. After swapping me to new circuit, new card and even coming to house and hard wiring a ADSL line, I am now up to 4.2 down and has been constant for several week now, so I'm very happy with Telecom....

Anyway back to post, the Telecom deal at present is very clever marketing....no dial-up user has any idea how much they use during a month cause its so slow.....all they see is Broadband!.....

With Vista & XP service packs released, there are certainly going to be some confused new broadband users when they go surfing the day after getting BB...LOL

wratterus
14-05-2008, 03:30 PM
You are a muppet if you get the 200MB plan. A complete muppet.

Seriously, do a windows update, download your emails and update your antivirus, cap blown.

1GB is a reasonable cap for a basic PC user coming off dial up, if you find you need more, change later. But start off with something reasonable!

stu161204
14-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Several Questions; How much data is that and does it mean if I downloaded XP SP3 it would blow it?

Yep, if you download XP SP3, then you would say good bye to your bandwidth cap for that month, plus you could easily blow that on updates for you computer e.g. windows update, Anti-Virus updates etc…..

That’s what I lot of people don’t relies that that could go easily with just updates.

I would look at a cap of about 1 GB to start of with.

Have a look here: http://www.nzconnection.net/Internet_Plan_and_Pricing_Comparisons And you can compare ISP’s with each other.

Are internal BB Modems available?

Yes, you can get them, but you may need to search around for one (We use to have one before we got an external Modem)

Hope this helps & Good luck.

pctek
14-05-2008, 04:18 PM
while I agree they are not flash, I cant complain at present.
I am now up to 4.2 down

Speed doesn't come into.
They aren't cheap - not counting their 5 minute plan, their helpdesk sucks.

maccrazy
14-05-2008, 04:28 PM
We use between 200MB and 400MB per day (typical four person household), so around 9GB per month. When we were on dial-up we used around 1GB per month, but that was over five years ago (software updates are much bigger now and webpages more resource intensive). I'd therefore suggest starting with a 1GB cap if you live alone, or a 5GB cap if multiple people will be using your connection.

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Speed doesn't come into.
They aren't cheap - not counting their 5 minute plan, their helpdesk sucks.

I'm a bit lucky in that my work pays my max/max connection....hehe

wratterus
14-05-2008, 04:37 PM
Lucky sod Sol!

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Lucky sod Sol!

Yeah, they also gave me a T3G card for my lappy...hehe

wratterus
14-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Dayomn! :dogeye: :p

Anyway, I must stop hijacking threads.... :groan:

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes you can get internal ADSL routers http://www.pricespy.co.nz/pno_1035.html (all the same model, just pick which shop you like best or the cheapest)
Or you could try trademe etc

You can share internet on an internal router the same you do with an internal dialup modem. It just means the host computer has to be turned on at the time and it can be annoying.

But if you've just got one PC or don't mind that then an internal one is fine. Though I suspect you can get an external one for cheaper, but aside from all that, Xtra (and others) give you a free router when you sign up anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

But if you do go xtra do not get the 200MB plan. it's completely stupid and only designed to rip you off.

If you want to save money, then don't get any plan that lets you buy more data for X cents per MB. You will end up with a huge bill. Get something that slows you down to dialup speed after you use up your cap, or some kind of unlimited plan (though good luck if you can find one!)

stu161204
14-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Anyway, I must stop hijacking threads.... :groan:

:lol:

A Team
14-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes, I am considering going to BB. I'm OK with T'Com, and it'd be nice to retain the same e-mail address, although it wouldn't be the end of the world if we had to change. However, the next step up from 200Mb (in T'Com plans) is 3Gb ($29.95 pm for 6m, then $39.95 pm).

Thanks, Agent 24. I've checked the Price Spy link. Any ideas why internal modems for BB seem not to be as readily available as they once were?

How hard would it be for me to fit such a unit? I presume they come with reasonable directions.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
14-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Any ideas why internal modems for BB seem not to be as readily available as they once were?

Because theres external modems with router/WLAN in one unit now, and they do more / a better job

How hard would it be for me to fit such a unit? I presume they come with reasonable directions.

Just put it in a spare slot, and configure it / follow the instructions in the manual.

maccrazy
14-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Any ideas why internal modems for BB seem not to be as readily available as they once were?Because 99.9% of people want an external modem. ;) Reasons:

Easier to install.
Easier to share between multiple devices.
Many people have a laptop as their only computer and hence couldn't use one even if they wanted to.

kersonan
15-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I really have to suggest totally avoiding internal DSL modems, for the following reasons

1. takes up a card slot
2. your comp will be handling a bit of work that externals do for free
3. Externals are now stupidly cheap and easy to get

Reasons that justify having an external

1. A lot of them have wifi built in which can be handy for guests with laptops
2. T'com and most other larger ISP's will give you a free one :)
3. Extra security functions
4. built in switches allowing more pc's to share the connection.

Personally i've hated internal DSL devices since they were released, same goes for internal 56k modems, the hatred was born from providing tech support for them when DSL was first starting up in NZ, I'd die a little inside with every call. which wasnt the case with the Nokia M10,M11,M1122 I like M1122's so much i still have several in my stash.