PDA

View Full Version : Notebook Stopped Dead

B.M.
14-05-2008, 01:16 PM
HelpÖÖÖÖ Iíve arrived in Brisbane and my Presario 2500 Notebook wonít turn on. :(

Donít think it was bumped or anything so here are the Symptoms.

Screen totally blank.
Power light comes on.
No HDD activity according to HDD light.
Clicking noise which appears to be the DVD/CD ROM
Suspected HDD (and still do) but removing it and slaving it to another computer it is recognised and all the files are visible.
Although the DVD/CD ROM appears to be searching it wonít recognise a bootable XP CD.
The DVD/CD Tray will only open using the paperclip trick. :eek:

Iíve reset everything using the reset button underneath but still not a flicker on the screen or flicker from the HDD light.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :thanks

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Close lid and accidentally drop from great hight, call insurance agent and blame airline for damage!

B.M.
14-05-2008, 01:51 PM
Oh dear, I want to use it. :crying

Has anyone heard of any of the airport scanning devices causing this sort of problem?

SolMiester
14-05-2008, 01:53 PM
The airports always say they are okay, however?.......new lappy coming up!

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Close lid and accidentally drop from great hight, call insurance agent and blame airline for damage!

That is probably what the baggage handlers did to it

stu161204
14-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Did you take the lappy with you on the plane?? Or was in the baggage hold?

pctek
14-05-2008, 02:45 PM
HelpÖÖÖÖ Iíve arrived in Brisbane and my Presario 2500 Notebook wonít turn on. :(

Donít think it was bumped or anything so here are the Symptoms.

The DVD/CD Tray will only open using the paperclip trick. :eek:

Er..........retrieve docs from HDD, phone insurance.

B.M.
14-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Now come on guys, harden up and letís find which bit it actually is. ;)

Could it be the CMOS battery? :confused:

Iíve saved everything to a folder on this computer and run chkdsk F: /F and no errors presented so maybe itís not the HDD?

The HDD is a Hitachi 40gig and Iíd like to test it from the USB port that itís running from.

Bit of a trick thoroughly testing one of these when you canít boot from a floppy or CD. :confused:

Anyway, I donít want to die not knowing exactly which part of the system is causing the problem. :lol:

One thing for sure itís very early in the POST as we donít seem to get to CMOS set-up. Thereís nothing on the screen although that doesnít mean itís not trying to show something.

I wish I could fit one of those gadgets that fit in a PCI slot and tell you with numbers what has happened to the POST.

Anyway, lets have the theories. :help:

sploodge
14-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Well, it could be the screen at fault. Does your OS (really, I'm avoiding using "Windows" here) bootup?

B.M.
14-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Well, it could be the screen at fault. Does your OS (really, I'm avoiding using "Windows" here) bootup?

It could be screen, but we're a long way from any OS.

It's got to be in the early part of the BIOS POST I reccon. :confused:

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 08:40 PM
can you connect an external monitor or TV to rule out the screen?

Perhaps something came loose, like RAM?

B.M.
15-05-2008, 10:32 AM
can you connect an external monitor or TV to rule out the screen?

Perhaps something came loose, like RAM?

I'm heading up the Sunshine Coast today and will try a CRT screen up there.

However, I'd dearly like to rule out the HDD which appears OK using CHKDSK with it attached to the USB Port of another computer.

Just how to run any stand alone HDD tests running off the USB Port of another computer eludes me.

I've removed and replaced the RAM inserting them one at a time and swapping them over but to no avail.

I also turned the computer on without any RAM or HDD and nothing changed.

Not so much a a flicker from the screen, no beeps, and the DVD/CD with its light flicking and going click, click, click.

My thoughts are something must have buggered the BIOS. :crying

Agent_24
15-05-2008, 11:12 AM
However, I'd dearly like to rule out the HDD which appears OK using CHKDSK with it attached to the USB Port of another computer.

My thoughts are something must have buggered the BIOS. :crying

sounds to me like your hard drive is fine, or at least it should be working well enough to let the laptop boot.

Though even if the hard drive was faulty the laptop should still complete POST and then just complain that the hard drive wasn't working.

If the BIOS was erased or corrupted somehow then it would cause your problem - but I fail to see how this would have happened

Have you tried resetting the BIOS settings to defaults though?

Driftwood
15-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Is it the same on battery & AC

pctek
15-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Now come on guys, harden up and letís find which bit it actually is. ;)

Anyway, I donít want to die not knowing exactly which part of the system is causing the problem.
:

The motherboard.

wratterus
15-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Yep, motherboard. :crying