PDA

View Full Version : BIOS Flashing without a CPU?

mrbbi
13-05-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm looking @ buying a new Mobo but may need to flash the BIOS 1st in order for it to accept a new CPU. Now how or is this possible(?) when i don't currently have a compatible CPU. In other words "is it possible to flash a BIOS without a cpu installed"?.

Mobo = ASUS P4V8X-X Socket 478

Cheers :)

Speedy Gonzales
13-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Go back to the shop you got the mobo from, and ask them to put a lower spec CPU to flash it. Then put your CPU in.

And no I doubt u can flash without a CPU.

Since you'll have to go into the BIOS (and you wont see anything without a CPU), so you can change the bootdisk to boot from.

Whats the CPU youre going to put in, and what version of the BIOS is on it now

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 12:17 AM
You can't flash without a CPU because the CPU needs to be there to run the flashing program, not to mention the BIOS code to actually start the computer etc.

A good shop will upgrade the BIOS for you, possibly for free

Otherwise if the BIOS chip is socketed you could remove it and reprogram it elsewhere (although this would require access to an eeprom programmer or use of one)

williamF
14-05-2008, 02:43 AM
"Otherwise if the BIOS chip is socketed you could remove it and reprogram it elsewhere (although this would require access to an eeprom programmer or use of one)"
plus some knowledge of machine code:nerd::nerd: unless the file that has the upgraded code in it is either raw machine code or a hex file with the hex codes
most bios chips are PLCC (plastic leaded chip carrier's) instead of the familar 28 or 32 pin DIL (EE)proms either way good luck trying to manually remove and program the BIOS chip

mrbbi
14-05-2008, 09:27 AM
You all answered what i needed to know. I'm "Watching" a Mobo on Trademe but need an updated BIOS to make it usable. I've asked the Seller about the BIOS version but no reply yet. Just wanted to know what options i had if the BIOS was the worng version.

Thanks for the replies :)

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 10:14 AM
plus some knowledge of machine code:nerd::nerd: unless the file that has the upgraded code in it is either raw machine code or a hex file with the hex codes
most bios chips are PLCC (plastic leaded chip carrier's) instead of the familar 28 or 32 pin DIL (EE)proms either way good luck trying to manually remove and program the BIOS chip

The Willem eeprom programmer program can handle files in .HEX .BIN or .ROM format, plus more - and I don't think I've seen any BIOS images that weren't one of those 3.

And all you need is a PLCC chip extractor tool - they're not hard or expensive to get...

But if that isn't fun enough, you can try doing hotflashing with uniflash