PDA

View Full Version : Memtest86

Driftwood
13-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I have a laptop here that was playing up & I suspected a memory prob so I tryed the suspect memory in another unit & the problem went with it.
Tryed the memory from the good working unit in the problem one & it went good.
Thought I would try Memtest on the suspect memory as I hadn't used it before & wanted to see what it would find.
Well its been going for 2 hours now & hasn't come up with anything yet, how long does it take?

beeswax34
13-05-2008, 08:18 PM
The time required for a complete pass of Memtest86 will vary greatly depending on CPU speed, memory speed and memory size. Memtest86 executes indefinitely. The pass counter increments each time that all of the selected tests have been run. Generally a single pass is sufficient to catch all but the most obscure errors. However, for complete confidence when intermittent errors are suspected testing for a longer period is advised.

Wait for maybe 2 hours more.

wainuitech
13-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Depends on how much memory you have, It doesn't actually stop until you tell it to stop testing.

If you look at the top Percentage it will go right up to 100% then start again, generally to test memory I let it run through 3 times - or if in a hurry once.

The only exception to that is if it finds anything in RED, then I stop it right way as the Memory is faulty - no point in carrying on.

Sweep
13-05-2008, 08:49 PM
I generally let Memtest run overnight as I do not need to sit there and look at it.:2cents:

Driftwood
13-05-2008, 08:49 PM
It's on test 6 now, still no errors.

CYaBro
14-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Try running Prime95 (http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm) as I have found that that is more likely to find problems.

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 01:30 AM
I have a laptop here that was playing up & I suspected a memory prob so I tryed the suspect memory in another unit & the problem went with it.
Thought I would try Memtest on the suspect memory as I hadn't used it before & wanted to see what it would find.
Well its been going for 2 hours now & hasn't come up with anything yet, how long does it take?

Short of a dead stick causing the PC to beep rather than boot, anything really bad usually shows up in the first minute on memtest, and most faults often appear on the first pass. It's a good program but not perfect because it's just a test, and as such doesn't utilize RAM in the way that real world use does - so while there may be a fault with the stick, it might only show up under normal use, and not testing.

From your swapping of sticks though it sounds like you've already figured out the problem

drcspy
14-05-2008, 04:38 AM
I tryed the suspect memory in another unit & the problem went with it.

well done good process of elimination

sounds definitive

Driftwood
14-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I gave up on the memtest after 3 hrs & still no errors.
I looked at the Prime95 but it looked like it might be a little stressfull for this old machine.
So I've got a new stick of ram on the way.
Got another problem with this unit also. The DVD drive door won't open properly. When you push the button it makes the right noises but all it does is restart the disc if you have one in the drive. Drive seems to play alright though. Got 4 laptops here at the moment but all the optical drives are different so I cant go down that road either.

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 01:24 PM
probably faulty drive eject mechanism somewhere. Does the emergency eject hole work?

I don't know much about the eject mechanics on a laptop drive but I have had desktop cd drives not ejecting because the drivebelt was old and slipping - on those the emergency eject hole works fine

Driftwood
14-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Yea the eject hole works ok. I've had it out & had a good look at it, of cause there is no drive belt on this, being a laptop unit. It looks to be visably ok.
Same thing happens when you try to eject from the icon.

dugimodo
14-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Not sure if the memtest I used was the same as the one you mention, but when I used it to test some RAM it had 2 modes, standard and extended. The stadard mode ran 6 tests continously and always passed even though I knew I had faulty RAM ( long story ). When I tried extended tests it failed part way through test 7

There was an onscreen instruction to press a key for extended tests ( "T" I think )

Erayd
14-05-2008, 01:35 PM
...but all the optical drives are different so I cant go down that road either.They're usually the same, but often have a custom enclosure or mounting assembly. Just swap the guts rather than the whole thing and you should be sweet.

Agent_24
14-05-2008, 01:41 PM
Not sure if the memtest I used was the same as the one you mention, but when I used it to test some RAM it had 2 modes, standard and extended. The stadard mode ran 6 tests continously and always passed even though I knew I had faulty RAM ( long story ). When I tried extended tests it failed part way through test 7

There was an onscreen instruction to press a key for extended tests ( "T" I think )

I know of 3 versions:

http://www.memtest86.com/ (the original memtest)
http://www.memtest.org/ (the improved version - memtest+)
http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ (a memory tester that runs within windows)

Driftwood
14-05-2008, 02:47 PM
They're usually the same, but often have a custom enclosure or mounting assembly. Just swap the guts rather than the whole thing and you should be sweet.

Yea trouble is they don't all belong to me.