PDA

View Full Version : Case Info.

JJJJJ
13-05-2008, 08:05 PM
Is there any real advantage in using a "full tower" instead of the mid tower.

Wondering if they run cooler.

qazwsxokmijn
13-05-2008, 08:09 PM
More space is all I can think of, and some people like it big and hard I guess.
Well, more space is good, considering high-end components are getting bigger and bigger.

As long as there is good air circulation, even mATX cases are good enough for most PC setups that can fit into them.

beeswax34
13-05-2008, 08:19 PM
Depends on how many components you have in there really. If you have a poor airflow system inside, then even the biggest cases will run hot.

Make sure you get the fans positioned correctly in whatever case you get.

Sweep
13-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Is there any real advantage in using a "full tower" instead of the mid tower.

Wondering if they run cooler.

Generally you will get better airflow but that still depends on design and how the cables are routed etc. No point in having a fan in the case that cools the IDE cables as I see so often. With bigger cases you may find you can go to water cooling if you so desire later. I would not guarantee that a biggger case would make an appreciable difference in tenperatures.

The main advantage for me is having the room to be able to fit up to 11 drives along with the fact that they are easier to work on. I very often have to put other hard drives in my system to retrieve data or run other diagnostics.

The case by itself is not the variable in temperature control in my opinion.

The_End_Of_Reality
13-05-2008, 08:35 PM
and some people like it big and hard I guess. LOL :lol:

It is mainly a space thing... My mid tower keeps things cool, and the cables are neat and tidy etc BUT it is a pig to work in at times, like I need to take out some of my expansion cards to remove some HDDs.

kersonan
13-05-2008, 08:37 PM
if you like to muck around with your comp parts a large case makes that very easy to do. prob the only advantage i'd see in it with a modern case.

JJJJJ
13-05-2008, 09:16 PM
I am looking at a Lian Li full tower case with four fans. Their cases seem to be very well designed and with four fans I am hoping I can get a quicker heat exchange and thereby getting lower temps.

The case is about $450. Their present case cost about $400 so there's not much diff.

Just the thought of water cooling scares the pants off me!

qazwsxokmijn
13-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Lian Li cases look very nice indeed, and seem to keep excellent airflow going as long as you properly place the fans and route cables decently (well, this applies to basically all cases), but I don't see the need for a full tower case unless you need more room and/or you like it big.

tweak'e
13-05-2008, 10:19 PM
one problem i have with my full tower is cable length. had to get longer than normal cables to get things to fit.

JJJJJ
13-05-2008, 10:45 PM
one problem i have with my full tower is cable length. had to get longer than normal cables to get things to fit.

Never thought of that. Which cables are too short?

tweak'e
13-05-2008, 10:54 PM
with mine the drives are right at the top. so floppy (if you use one these days), IDE tho not a big problem with sata, card reader or usb.

unfortunatly i don't have any good pics of the setup at the mo.

SolMiester
13-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I am looking at a Lian Li full tower case with four fans. Their cases seem to be very well designed and with four fans I am hoping I can get a quicker heat exchange and thereby getting lower temps.

The case is about $450. Their present case cost about $400 so there's not much diff.

Just the thought of water cooling scares the pants off me!

Actually Silverstone designs better cases than Lian Li, but Lian Li are more stylish!

SolMiester
13-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Never thought of that. Which cables are too short?

PSU cables!