PDA

View Full Version : Microphone buzzes while programs are open

Istar47
13-05-2008, 05:38 PM
I got a new headset fairly recently off of Ebay. The sound quality that I hear is good, but when I try to talk to friends over vent, they hear a loud buzzing noise whenever I have a program open. I keep my computer speakers off, and just have the sound played through my headset. I don't know what's causing it, and I'd like to find out before I spend money buying a different headset. If it helps, the headset I use plugs into an analog jack, and not a USB port.

Jen
13-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Welcome to PressF1. Does this occur with any program that you have open, or just specific ones? What OS are you using? If you are using XP, then do you have speech recognition turned on in Office, or in Vista check the speech recognition in the Control Panel.

porkster
13-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Have you got the mic in the correct (pink) socket? -sorry but that quite a common problem

Do you get side tone in your headset (speaking into the mic gives you your voice in the earpieces) and is it good quality?

Borrow a headset from a friend (or just a microphone), try that and see if you sill have the problem.

It sounds like the ground is missing from the mic.

You could also try disconnecting (or switch off the power to) your printer, USB devices and other addons!

Put your cellphone (and other phones) at least 3 meters away.
Those power packs that charge cellphone and games interfere badly as well. Turn them off to see if things improve.

Istar47
13-05-2008, 08:51 PM
I'm currently using Windows XP, I have the mic plugged into the right sockets (although I have made that mistake before, heh), and I'll see what it sounds like without my cell phone on next time I talk to my friends. As for what program causes the buzzing, it seems to be all of them, although different programs seem to make the buzzing louder. For instance, if I just have Firefox open, the buzzing is fairly quiet, but if I have a game open (usually Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War), the buzzing is loud to the point that I have to almost yell for my friends to hear me over it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might try to see if someone can lend me a USB mic to see if it makes a difference.

coldot
13-05-2008, 09:28 PM
Maybe the microphone is too close to your monitor?
Have you tried moving it further away from your desk, PC, clock, phone... away from everything electrical?

Istar47
13-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I've tried that, but it didn't seem to have any sort of effect.

coldot
13-05-2008, 11:13 PM
Can you define the "buzzing"? Is it hum? Is it feedback?
Unplug the headphone lead and try the mic by itself - maybe listen on speaker turned down low enough not to get feedback.
Have you ever previously used a mic with that motherboard? Possibly a power fault relating to the small voltage that is presented at the mic socket to power the electret type mic. If that voltage isn't "clean" it could be carrying a reflection of activity in the video card or elsewhere.
Does the mic lead pass close to the monitor lead?
However, your best bet it to borrow another mic to test.

williamF
13-05-2008, 11:34 PM
just as a test. open sound recorder with and without a mic in and see if it makes the so called "buzzing" sound when you play back a plain recording with no or little other sound and try opening certian apps while it records. it could be something completely unrelated to the sound card, it could be the power supply or the mobo caps also onboard ones can be prone to being crap, try a separate (PCI) sound card (if possible)