PDA

View Full Version : Vista Recovery DVD

nofam
13-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I've got a customer who's Vista PC has died (well, not died, but they're set on doing a rebuild rather than a recovery). It has a Vista Business COA, but no recovery partition, and they have no installation media.

I have Vista Business recovery media for an HP lappy, and was wondering if it's possible to use this to rebuild a non-HP machine. I seem to recall last time I tried this with XP it sensed that the machine wasn't HP and quit the install.

First and foremost, I need to know if this is legal of course!! :D

What's the go?

pctek
13-05-2008, 02:04 PM
I have Vista Business recovery media for an HP lappy, and was wondering if it's possible to use this to rebuild a non-HP machine.

probably not because its not likely to be a Vista only disk, but one withe drivers etc built in. So it won't like it.

And the COA is often built in to those laptop recovery disks.

Just borrow a Vista disk from someone.

nofam
13-05-2008, 02:20 PM
probably not because its not likely to be a Vista only disk, but one withe drivers etc built in. So it won't like it.

Just borrow a Vista disk from someone.

Yeah this one is actually Vista-only - the lappy also came with an XP Pro SP2 CD.

drcspy
14-05-2008, 04:35 AM
have Vista Business recovery media for an HP lappy, and was wondering if it's possible to use this to rebuild a non-HP machine

most likely it's locked to the hp bios........and

that too.......

and......

ust borrow a Vista disk from someone.

yeh but make sure you got the drivers first.......