PDA

View Full Version : Changing to Naked ADSL

Greg
13-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I've read a few threads referring to NDSL, and sites that are supposed to provide it.

Xnet doesn't seem to offer it in my area (Pakuranga, Auckland) according to their site.

1) So is it ISP dependant? Eg, I'm considering changing from Xtra to Xnet.

2) Does it really mean that a household can do without a Telecom account, totally? (I thought this concept was pie-in-the-sky stuff, but I've read elsewhere it's a reality).

3) When I move out of this house will I be obliged to pay a new full setup connection to Telecom? If so, how can I do that without having a Telecom account?

Just a few thoughts cos I'm wondering if I should change at all now, or after I move into a new place.

I've been entirely happy with Telecom and Xtra in the years I've been with them, but by moving to an NDSL line with Xnet I can get the same theoretical d/l speeds, but with a 4 x upload speed. And with a Vodafone mobile plan I'll only spend a fraction of the costs that would normally be associated with having a land line for me.

What advice, please?

wratterus
13-05-2008, 11:29 AM
I'd love to as well, although it's a way off for us in the Nelson area.

As for not having a Telecom bill at all....Orcon will let you do this, as will many other ISPs. Just get your phone line and tolls with them.

Essentially your still paying Telecom, but theres no bill saying that, to all intents and purposes your paying Kordia.

pctek
13-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Xnet doesn't seem to offer it in my area (Pakuranga, Auckland) according to their site.

2) Does it really mean that a household can do without a Telecom account, totally? (I thought this concept was pie-in-the-sky stuff, but I've read elsewhere it's a reality).

3) When I move out of this house will I be obliged to pay a new full setup connection to Telecom? If so, how can I do that without having a Telecom account?

Er...where does it say that. Naked DSL just means you can have broadband without paying someone for a line rental.
You still have the line as such but it gets unhooked from phone services, and becomes a data only line.
To use phone you use VOIP.
Lots are offering it, so long as you are capable of getting normal broadband then you can have naked DSL.

This is different from having your phone rental with another ISP like Orcon who have installed their own exchnage equipment in a few(mostly Auckland) suburbs.

You don't need to pay Telecom at all. (They end up with a small fee from your ISP for the use of their equipments stll)
If you move you would just ring your new ISP and ask for it all to be moved to the new address.

notechyet
13-05-2008, 02:10 PM
I've read a few threads referring to NDSL, and sites that are supposed to provide it.

Just a few thoughts cos I'm wondering if I should change at all now, or after I move into a new place.

I've been entirely happy with Telecom and Xtra in the years I've been with them, but by moving to an NDSL line with Xnet I can get the same theoretical d/l speeds, but with a 4 x upload speed. And with a Vodafone mobile plan I'll only spend a fraction of the costs that would normally be associated with having a land line for me.
What advice, please?
Greg
If you like you can get all on one bill, totally disconnect to TC if you join this (http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/).
It means you are using VOIP and also use Broadband. If you are not to far out rural I do think it is a good option and overall cheaper then TC-Xtra.
Emergency calls can be done through the cellphone network.
NT