PDA

View Full Version : Can't access BIOS or RAID Utility

digikiwi
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to create a new raid 1 array on my GAK8nsc-939 mobo, using 2 brand new 500gb SATA HDs.

When I boot up, regardless of what key I press it will POST and then go into "detecting array". I don't get any choice to enter the RAID set up utility . After 3 or so minutes it will go into BIOS. I can start Windows setup from the XP CD but surely I need to determine the Raid Array type first.

Later: Have tried clearing CMOS, now I can't even get into BIOS, it just hangs at "prepare to enter Setup". Still POSTs ok though. Have also tried running each RAM stick alone - no difference. Houston, I think we have a hardware issue...

Any ideas?

Speedy Gonzales
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Get this (http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Manual_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Manual&FileID=16317)

To confgiure the RAID

Since it looks like this mobo uses this chipset

Did you remove anything when you cleared the CMOS? If you removed a jumper, did you put it back?

digikiwi
11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Hi Speedy,

No there are no jumpers, just to pins which are shorted by contact to reset the CMOS.

Could my bios have corrupted?

williamF
11-05-2008, 11:27 PM
is this RAID controller on the mobo or is it a separate card with its own bios?

digikiwi
12-05-2008, 01:18 AM
hardware raid controller on mobo. I'm wondering if this mobo can only handle up to a certain disk size as the original Raid 0 with two 120 Gb disks still boots up. But when the new 500Gb HDs are hooked up it goes straight into "detecting array" and 3 minutes later you get to bios. However in HD Disk boot priority the SCSI disks aren't listed as an option, and I never get the option to get into the Raid Utility.

SolMiester
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi digi, I have the ultra version of your mobo, did you say you had an existing array before you hooked up the new drives?. If you did, you will need to reset the controller back to standard 1st to erases the previous array if you cant do so within the controller bios. When reseting back to raid and with new drives attached you should get the <CTRL & A> prompt to configure.

digikiwi
13-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Hi Solmiester,

reset the controller back to standard 1st to erases the previous array if you cant do so within the controller bios.

How do I reset the controller back to standard?

Do I need to do that with the current working disks still plugged in, meaning I'll totally lose that array ? This shouldn't be the case as last year I replaced the motherboard and plugged the HDs in and didn't lose the array. That suggests that the array data is stored on the HDs itself yeah?

When I unplug the current working RAID 0 array disks I get no such options and <ctrl> + <a> is totally new to me in this context. My mobo RAID is accessed with <F10> normally, but of course I don't get that option when I plug the new drives in. Which just goes to support what you're saying.

SolMiester
13-05-2008, 09:16 AM
Digi, raid array info is held on the drives as you are now aware, otherwise you wouldnt be able to rebuild on a new controller.
To set the controller back to standard, you have to go into the bios, where all the disk info is, you should be able to tongle thru the different mode of the controller, (std SATA, raid SATA), if you put back to normal sata,save, then back to raid sata again, save and exit, plug in your new drive and you should now be able to build your new array with the F10 key. I must say I am curious at to why you cant access the controller at present.

Tell me though 1st before you go destroying arrays, are you trying to add a 2nd array and keep your 1st intake?. If you are we may need to rethink our approach.

After reseting the controller, and back again to sata raid, if you plug into all 4 disks in order you should be able to initialise the 1st array and create the 2nd.

I havent been into my controller since the system was put together, so I'm a bit vague, and are more used to using scsi raid controllers with crtl&a.

SolMiester
13-05-2008, 09:20 AM
Digi, just re-read post and checked gigabyte site.......you only have 2 sata ports, so you are not worried about existing array?

digikiwi
13-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I want more capacity and redundancy. Hence I am going from 2 x 120 Gb in a Raid 0 array to 2 x 500 Gb drives in a Raid 1 array. At this point I can also apply a new installation of XP for a fresh start.

I don't want to destroy the old array in case I have trouble restoring from my backup files (data only, not applications). In any case it should have nothing to do with the 2x 120 Gb drives, should it. They will be reformatted once I have restored relevant data on the new installation of XP.