PDA

View Full Version : Replacing D-Link 302G

Clod
11-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Had this from Xtra for a few years now, it plugging along OK but I'm wondering would it be worthwhile upgrading ? I've got a Netgear wireless router and was wondering if a Netgear modem would be the go. I'm still on Go Large and the speeds more like dial up but I'm happy as the price is right.

decibel
11-05-2008, 10:05 PM
It maybe eventually as those modems are only ADSL1 , do you know whether your exchange has been upgraded to ADSL2+ ?

drcspy
12-05-2008, 09:06 AM
www.speedtest.net

wratterus
12-05-2008, 09:11 AM
The 302g is a horrible modem, bad GUI and not very stable when under load, especially for file sharing.

I don't really think you'd find much difference in standard download speed from a website, or speedtest speed increases, but I'd recommend upgrading anyway, you'll find some improvement.

I'd try checking with Xtra, they may just send you a new one (probably 502t, much better modem) free of charge, although it's unlikely.

I personally have a dynalink, and like it, although a few people seem not to like them much.

Cnet, Linksys and Belkin seem to be some of the best brands out there. Netgear is OK, but I have seen more issues with them than any other brand (apart from dlink) so I wouldn't recommend them.

In the end, almost anything you get is gonna be better than what you've got. I'd go with a linksys or belkin all-in-one, (modem, 4 port switch and wireless). Make it easier and tidier, and you could sell the netgear and the dlink, offset some of the cost.

Clod
12-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks Folks. Wouldn't know whether the Oamaru north exchange is adsl 2 or not. I've done the speedtest before but what it gives and what I get in real life are diferent. Might just upgrade anyway when I get my tax back:thanks