PDA

View Full Version : Recovery Programme

B.M.
11-05-2008, 07:36 AM
Can anybody recommend a freebee Data Recovery programme that I can try out?

The position is this.

A woman down the road took her computer into a shop to have it upgraded from Win98 to XP.

The installation wasnít successful so the guy in the shop reinstalled Win98. The morbid details I wonít bore you with but the shop has gone bung.

Anyway, during this whole farce all her photos and letters were lost and NO she doesnít have any back-ups. :rolleyes:

I thought maybe, just maybe, there may be a possibility of recovering ďsomethingĒ, but Iíd be surprised.

Any recommendations? :thanks

kjaada
11-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Try running a linux live CD like Ubuntu or PCLos and you will see anything that is easily recoverable and be able to decide what to do from there.

pctek
11-05-2008, 08:38 AM
A woman down the road took her computer into a shop to have it upgraded from Win98 to XP.

The installation wasnít successful
Anyway, during this whole farce all her photos and letters were lost s

Er. I get asked this sometimes.
First I always check - can the PC actually run XP well? If not, why bother. In fact why bother anyway, I ask them why they want XP, what do they need that 98 won't give them.

Maybe an entire upgrade is needed instead.
Or nothing at all.

Secondly I never wipe anyones PC for any reason at all without first discussing backups. Most ask me to retrieve stuff, one guy took his back home to do it himself first.

Some shops shouldn't be allowed to call themselves PC repairs..........:groan:

gary67
11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
You could try Recuva from the same people who do ccleaner don't know if it will work as never used it and don't have the link to hand

drcspy
11-05-2008, 09:15 AM

The installation wasnít successful so the guy in the shop reinstalled Win98. The morbid details I wonít bore you with but the shop has gone bung.

complete and utter cretins not to mention totally imcompetant !

CYaBro
11-05-2008, 09:16 AM
I've used the flash memory recovery software from here (http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recovery/info.htm?language=1) and it's worked great so their PC recovery is probably good too.

wainuitech
11-05-2008, 10:02 AM
Secondly I never wipe anyones PC for any reason at all without first discussing backups. Most ask me to retrieve stuff, one guy took his back home to do it himself first.

Some shops shouldn't be allowed to call themselves PC repairs..........

Totally agree with that statement - I do the same , in fact I do it out of habit, copy the persons drive first - then work on the PC, that way if it all turns to custard at least I the computer Tech / Shop doesn't lose the data.

Back to recovering the data on the ladies PC - Depending on how win 98 was reinstalled will depend on if any data is recoverable. If the drive was reformatted then 98 loaded back in while not impossible there is a good chance that all is lost.

BUT what you need to do is install the data recovery Program on another PC,NOT THE WIN98 PC, then attach the Persons WIN98 Drive as a slave-then scan the drive in question, because any programs loaded on that WIN98 may over write any recoverable data, and DONT use the PC, any use what so ever may over write recoverable data.

The one CYaBro linked to is not to bad, or if you want another, not free but works well is Get Data Back (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm) - I use that and it sometimes will recover data from formatted drives. Being Win98 you would want the FAT version.

kjaada
11-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I may be on a learning curve here with windows but,if XP was installed without a reformat which is most likely in this case and the attempt to reinstall was also without a reformat then will the user Home folder not be intact and recoverable with a linux live cd.
If on the other hand a live cd is used and nothing shows up is it not then a job for one of the
apps mentioned above with a bit of "know how" needed.

wainuitech
11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Sometimes linux will locate files/folders -

Bit of a lesson - When you delete a file, folder what ever, its not actually gone, only its reference in windows is gone.

Every bit of data, no matter what it is, has what's called a start & stop bit ( beginning and end), when you delete something (even from the recycle bin) all it does is remove the start bit, windows cant see it , and now thinks the space that file took is free to write data again, reclaimed drive space.

What a data recovery program does is look for any parts of files / folders, in simple terms it ignores the missing start bit, then when it finds any data it puts the start bit back, when you recover it to another location. The data may not always be complete as some of it may have been over written , but getting some back is better than nothing.

Thats why if you been naughty ;) and the cops confiscate your PC, even if you think you have deleted the offending data - its still there unless you have used a program that really over writes,destroys the data. Its amazing what good data recovery programs can recover.

I have had customers with sensitive data on old PC's that HAS to be destroyed - My way and it works perfectly is the First line of My SIG below:D

kjaada
11-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Thats about how I saw it too:
Now,how does someone sort out the cowboy techs.Ok long established shops must have got most things right but I have heard of so many ripoffs by cowboys.Mobile "experts" with no home address who are to be avoided.Also I have to say some of the mainstream "big"
name suppliers have reputations for taking yonks to do a repair and I mean YONNKKS.
I have also heard of small home town outfits that do repairs and put bugs in the system that will lead to a crash in the future that looks like a virus invasion.
The worst aspect of the whole thing is that genuine techs like we see on PF1 giving advice for nix are being tarnished by the cowboys.

wainuitech
11-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Now,how does someone sort out the cowboy techs Thats a good question.

Mobile "experts" with no home address who are to be avoided Really ? :groan:

I know LOTS of VERY capable technicians, (and other trades, carpet layers, furniture repairs, painters etc) some have qualifications and expertise longer than your arm, That run their own business's from home, go to peoples houses, and are NOT cowboys and will do the work with no problems at all.

The reason you DON'T give out your home address (computer tech) if you work from home is quite simple - if you do you will have people coming around at all hours of the night, ANY day of the week, some people seem to think that because you work from Home you are available 24 /7.

You can generally tell who's the cowboys - ask around, people who have had work done before and are quite happy and the person / company gets recommended, word of mouth so to speak, this will soon tell you who the rip offs are.

PS: I work from Home, Go to peoples places - Have done for many years, My company is a registered company, (address is available on Companies office) - my HOME address is not listed in any advertising , a PO Box is, as well as Cell and Ph # & Email - I have people calling me all hours of the night sometimes up till midnight - 7 days a week (hence a private phone number for after working hours) I have qualifications and a good size happy customer data base - and get recommended by many customers to others.
NOTE: Some idiot called me last Sunday night at 1.27am -message on answer machine said he had to have the PC fixed right now - yeah right!

There are a few other Computer Techs that come to PF1 that are the same, and I would gladly recommend them.

kjaada
11-05-2008, 12:19 PM
Very sorry just quoting from past experiances.
I have the greatest respect for you blokes who give free advice on forums.
I shall remember next time to call at a reasonable time. LOL
keep up the good work

wainuitech
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
No Worries, I know what you mean- there are cowboys about - in any trqade / job. :)

I have the callers number & PC at the moment the urgent was an auction at trade me.

Lets stop hijacking this thread - hope the poster gets the data back.

B.M.
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
Yeeee gods, I downloaded the recovery programmes recommended and saved them to my Flash Drive (Run disk).

Wouldnít you know it, Win98 doesnít have any drivers for my 2Gb Flash Drive. :(

Back on the Internet but canít find any Win98 Drivers for 2Gb Flash Drive. Plenty for 128 Meg but it would seem 2gb was only a dream in 1998. :confused:

Anyway, in the meantime I remembered I had a 2001 version of Nortons SystemWorks Professional and that included a recovery programme. So, I selectively installed it omitting NAV, Ghost, WinFax, etc. and away we went.

Well, it found 600 odd files but they were only 4Kb up to 56kb in multiples of 4. So I reinstalled the lot which was supposedly successful but darned if I can find anything new. Probably all Chkdisk fragments?

I think the suggestion of slaving the drive to my computer and take it from there may be the next step. Problem is, Iím off to Aus for three weeks on Tuesday :banana and Iím in holiday mode and donít feel like getting too involved in case things get worse, if thatís possible. :badpc:

Iíll go and mow the lawn and ponder my position. :)

kahawai chaser
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM
Thats a good question.

Really ? :groan:

I know LOTS of VERY capable technicians, (and other trades, carpet layers, furniture repairs, painters etc) some have qualifications and expertise longer than your arm, That run their own business's from home, go to peoples houses, and are NOT cowboys and will do the work with no problems at all.

The reason you DON'T give out your home address (computer tech) if you work from home is quite simple - if you do you will have people coming around at all hours of the night, ANY day of the week, some people seem to think that because you work from Home you are available 24 /7.

You can generally tell who's the cowboys - ask around, people who have had work done before and are quite happy and the person / company gets recommended, word of mouth so to speak, this will soon tell you who the rip offs are.

PS: I work from Home, Go to peoples places - Have done for many years, My company is a registered company, (address is available on Companies office) - my HOME address is not listed in any advertising , a PO Box is, as well as Cell and Ph # & Email - I have people calling me all hours of the night sometimes up till midnight - 7 days a week (hence a private phone number for after working hours) I have qualifications and a good size happy customer data base - and get recommended by many customers to others.
NOTE: Some idiot called me last Sunday night at 1.27am -message on answer machine said he had to have the PC fixed right now - yeah right!

There are a few other Computer Techs that come to PF1 that are the same, and I would gladly recommend them.

Do you have a web site relating to your services wainutech to visit? That's another way to advertise, and attract potential customers. Also possible to make a passive secondary income with relevant advertisements (e.g. Google Adsense) and perhaps allow NZ PC suppliers link to your business to send visitors. Also you would get back links from this forum, which would raise your ranking/authority for a site...

kjaada
11-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Iím in holiday mode and donít feel like getting too involved in case things get worse, if thatís possible.
Been there,done that.
We know how you feel but if you do not help who does ???

wainuitech
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Okay this thread is starting to take a sideways turn - It originally was asked By B.M to recover some data. Personally I know what its like to try and help recover data - sometimes it all goes easy other times its a long drawn out process and the results are not always favorable.

kahawai chaser - no I don't have a web site, often thought about it,and while its easy enough to make one these days, the thing that puts me off is the administration of it, keeping prices up to date, stock availability, etc thats almost a full time job on its own, and I work to longer hours as it is.

kjaada- Please excuse me if This seems a little errrrrrrr strange - but can you please advice who the question

"We know how you feel but if you do not help who does ???"

Was directed at please?

B.M - is the lady still using the PC ? If so there is more and more of a chance that any recoverable data is lost.

The longest time is when you scan the drive looking for data - some depending on how big the drive is can take hours.