PDA

View Full Version : Computer frequently dying?

zqia014
10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Hi all,

this problem has been happening lots in the past few days, a few times a long time ago, but never gave it much thought before.

Problem is... Screen would suddenly go black, saying "no signal", harddrive appears to have died, can't hear any harddrive activity, however all the fans are still going, I have to restart it.

Kept on happening once every few minutes a few days ago, I changed a molex on the harddrive, worked for about a day, then it happens again, the computer would not even boot up sometimes.

So I replugged the whole thing, eliminating one CD drive and one fan, worked for about a day, up to today, then it just happened again a few minutes ago.

To me it looks like a power problem. What do you reckon?

Cheers

P4 3.0Ghz, 1Gb Ram, X1950 Pro AGP, Thermaltake 480W PSU, ASUS MB, 160Gb HDD.

gary67
10-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Welcome to PF1 yes it does sound like a power problem do you have a spare power pack you could try?

Speedy Gonzales
10-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I would make sure the molex connectors are in properly, if theyre not making contact nothing will work

How exactly did you change the molex on the hdd?

Do you mean the connector on the hdd itself, or the molex connector coming from the PSU?

rumpty
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM
I had a similar problem with my older desktop computer a couple of months ago. Discovered some "bulging" capacitors on the motherboard - replaced them and it seems ok now, touch wood.

Your machine looks a bit too new for that sort of fault though?

Battleneter2
10-05-2008, 04:15 PM
I had a similar problem with my older desktop computer a couple of months ago. Discovered some "bulging" capacitors on the motherboard - replaced them and it seems ok now, touch wood.

Your machine looks a bit too new for that sort of fault though?

Yep +1 for this, you can visually check for bulging capacitors before spending any money. P4 3.0gig could easily be 3+ years old so its a possibility.

Sounds likely a mobo or PSU issue.

Also try another PSU.

pctek
10-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Problem is... Screen would suddenly go black, saying "no signal", harddrive appears to have died, can't hear any harddrive activity, however all the fans are still going, I have to restart it.

To me it looks like a power problem. What do you reckon?

I'd change the PSU first.
More than likely.

zqia014
10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
cheers for the replies

ok will check for bulging capacitors.

computer is roughly 3 years old, never ever broken down before, so definitely hope it doesn't break down now, I just can't be bothered reinstalling everything lol.

I just changed a molex plug on the harddrive, they all come from the PSU though.

and yes all plugs are in properly.

more advice appreciated.

gary67
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Welcome to PF1 yes it does sound like a power problem do you have a spare power pack you could try?

Bump

zqia014
10-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Damn, just happened again.

really can't be bothered paying for someone to get it fixed or taking it into a computer store, will try to get a new PSU somewhere just for a week or so.