PDA

View Full Version : Running fan

kale
09-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Hi, there.
My laptop fan is running all..... the time, not even stopping when there is no programme running. It seems that it's busy inside while it is actually not.
Anybody know why?
THANK YOU.

Speedy Gonzales
09-05-2008, 03:55 PM
It would have to run all the time, otherwise it would freeze the system and overheat the CPU (I take it, you mean the CPU fan)?, and die

wratterus
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Your saying that it's running loudly the whole time, not just running all the time.

Probably whats happened is the heatsink has become clogged with dust (common problem) and the CPU is heating up too much, hence the fan spinning fast all the time.

Take it to your local tech, get them to check it.

Edit: The fan will almost certainly be running all the time, just much slower/quieter.

Some fans do stop all together, but it's uncommon.

kale
09-05-2008, 04:05 PM
It would have to run all the time, otherwise it would freeze the system and overheat the CPU (I take it, you mean the CPU fan)?, and die

are you sure? cos before, when there was no programme running, the fan will just stop, and have a rest. But now, it runs all the time in high speed.

wainuitech
09-05-2008, 04:59 PM
With Nothing open apart from the Desktop - press ctrl/alt/Delete and bring up the task manager - have a look at the CPU Usage at the bottom of the processes tab - it should be hovering around 1-3 % if its doing nothing.

kale
09-05-2008, 05:05 PM
With Nothing open apart from the Desktop - press ctrl/alt/Delete and bring up the task manager - have a look at the CPU Usage at the bottom of the processes tab - it should be hovering around 1-3 % if its doing nothing.

yes, but fan will run in high speed even the CPU usage is 0%, don't know why.

wainuitech
09-05-2008, 05:15 PM
Does the bottom of the laptop feel hotter than normal ?

kale
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Does the bottom of the laptop feel hotter than normal ?

no, it doesn't really hotter than before, but as the fan is always running in high speed, the hot will always remain even after a long 0% CPU usage.