PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler fan not running.

Caesius
08-05-2008, 05:51 PM
All the parts for my new comp arrived today, I've hooked up the whole rig but when I powered her up HOLY HELL the CPU fan wasn't spinning.

I quickly turned it off. I've now striped it back to the bear essentials - its just the motheroard with the CPU-cooler plugged in (no CPU). When I turn it on the cooler still doesn't do anything!

Yes, the CPU is plugged in.

Gigabyte EP35-DS3P motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 CPU.

Any help is very appreciated. Cheers.

P.S. The CPU ran for about 5 seconds without the fan going - permenant damage likely?

utopian201
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM
I quickly turned it off. I've now striped it back to the bear essentials - its just the motheroard with the CPU-cooler plugged in (no CPU). When I turn it on the cooler still doesn't do anything!

Yes, the CPU is plugged in.

So is the cpu plugged in when you did this or not? You're saying you did both at the same time here.

I'm guessing you plugged the fan cable in the right way? You could try with another fan, to see if its the fan header, or the fan which is faulty.

With modern CPUs, I think they throttle down when they overheat, unlike the old AMD battle tanks which let themselves literally burn and smoke.

Caesius
08-05-2008, 06:02 PM
I've just found this (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/857378.html) discussion where someone is having the same problem. APPARENTLY these Gigabyte motherboards only start the fan going once the temperature gets up.

I don't think I can do it - sit there for 30 seconds and wait for the fan to start!

Any thoughts?

wainuitech
08-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Welcome to the world of SMART fan control, thats scared the hell out of MANY people :eek: (guilty as well when it first came out) - the fan does not start until the CPU gets hot enough to " kick it in the guts" Its designed that way- to turn on the fan all the time, start the PC and as its starting keep the hitting Delete key.

Enter the BIOS, Using the arrow keys scroll down to PC Health Status , press Enter - using the arrow keys scroll down to CPU Smart Fan Control, select it, hit either the Page up or page down key and select Disable,( doesn't matter which) hit the Esc Key, scroll down to save, reboot the fan will now run always.

Note: Instead of pressing Esc, you can also press F10 - which will save the settings and reboot the PC.

Thebananamonkey
08-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Just to hijack the thread for two seconds. I've just put my CPU fan in, it's an aftermarket zalman thing.

In the instruction manual it says to plug it into CHA_FAN1. But in my MoBo manual it says that the CPU fan has to be plugged into the CPU_FAN header. The zalman fan is three pin, but fits into the cpu fan (4 pin) header. Is it ok to do this?

Plus, the fan moves on its axis a little, I've installed it as it says in the manual, but I'm just a little worried that movement is not that good a thing.

Anyway, thanks, and sorry for the hijack.

My fan is this model (http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=277)

Caesius
08-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your help. Yes it was the thermal control It was scary as hell but the fan started up eventually.

They need to put a warning somewhere, jeez.

Cheers.

qazwsxokmijn
08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
You don't need to worry about damaging your E8200, as it will slow itself down to prevent itself from overheating. I think your motherboard can also shut itself down if it detects the CPU at an abnormally high heat.