PDA

View Full Version : The Next Generation Debate

CaptainVincent
06-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I made this post to ask peoples opinions on there choice for the best next gen console. Take into consideration these cons and pros. Remember alot of this is just my "opinion" which you don't have to agree with. That's why I'm asking for yours =D. Thanks!!!

Xbox 360
Pros
-Solid online service and gaming (get what you pay for)
-The "mid range customization" price tag
-Like a PC made for gaming
-Currently the best exclusives
-Huge library filled with some great games
-XBLA is absolutely fantastic and pretty decently priced
-Graphics crunching machine
-Backward compatibility

Cons
-A bit similar to PC, PC users may not be as attracted to it
-Fast but low capcity DVD tech
-No little brother (PSP, NDS)
-Fantastic online service but it still has a price
-HD-DVD was discontinued
-Hardware failure rate is much higher than respective consoles

Wii
Pros
-The only TRULY next-gen console proving a CPU and GPU upgrade doesn't count
-The wiimote and nunchuck is a fantastic control scheme for most games
-There may be only a few but there are games that REALLY shine on wii
-Full gamecube backward compatibility
-Free online gameplay
-Kill things with a wiimote and not having fun is impossible
-Wii's little friend the DS can talk to it

Cons
-Not a graphics crunching machine
-A huge game library but only a few games a truly great
-The free online gameplay needs to be better (no friends codes)
-Big learning curve on first person shooters

PS3
Pros
-Cell processor tech which may have not quite been "mastered" yet
-Blu-Ray the winning format and large capacity
-Some solid titles
-Free online service
-Sixaxis could be useful
-Backward compatibility with PS2 and PS1
-PS3's little friend the PSP can talk to it

Cons
-Blu-Ray is slow resulting in data duplication and installing games
-PS3 online is free, but needs an overhaul
-The cell processor is apparently hard to make games for
-The system is clearly uneven a super powerful processor, a super large capacity disc but nothing to really "back it up".
-40GB = No backward compatibility

Just my opinion guys =]. Love to hear yours!!!!

Metla
06-05-2008, 10:35 PM
My opinion?

The best one is the one you can afford (or at least falls into what you would consider to be a reasonable price bracket)and has games that appeal to you.

The only 2 things I considered when I bought a console.

beeswax34
06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
Next-gen as in terms of processing power/graphics/sounds

OR

The way that people interact with it and the games you can play?

Metla
06-05-2008, 10:47 PM
"next generation" is nothing but marketing dribble.

R2x1
06-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Next generation is a euphemism for "No software yet".

qazwsxokmijn
06-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I'm tired of hearing these 'new generation' crap....there's nothing so revolutionary about the new consoles.

porkster
07-05-2008, 06:20 AM
PS3 compatible with PS2 and PS1 games!
You obviously haven't purchased a New Zealand one lately!

You missed an important con:
Zoned so you're locked into paying greedy distributors prices.

Greven
07-05-2008, 08:16 AM

The PS3 isn't zoned. My friend bought one in Japan & it works unmodified over here with all games

the_bogan
07-05-2008, 09:30 AM
What about with playing dvds? Is Japan the same region code as us?

ubergeek85
07-05-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm a sony fanboy. PS3 gets my vote. As for the lack of a game library for it, it's similar to the PS2 in a way, (not technologically) in that it's so brand-spanking new (when was the last time you heard that?), it takes a while for developers to get used to it (programming for a supercomputer isn't that easy after all). The PSP is also a great companion to the PS3. [/fanboyrant]

Thebananamonkey
07-05-2008, 11:51 AM
PS3 is a better machine, but I prefer XBOX, for some bizarre reason, despite GTA4 giving my little white box a few problems.

The controller's nicer to use than the PS one, and I really like the triggers. Apart from that all personal preference. Oh... and it was a few hundred cheaper than the PS3.

CaptainVincent
07-05-2008, 03:40 PM
I traded my xbox 360 for a nintendo wii. Maybe it was a moment of weakness but I just feel xbox 360 and PC are too similar. My little PC I'm adding to will handle gears of war, assassins creed and GTA IV for PC in 6 months fine. So I kinda gave up the 360 for the wii. That's why the wii got my vote, for something entirely fresh and different.

maccrazy
07-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I don't own any, but I would consider a PS3 if PlayTV (Freeview HD adaptor that turns the PS3 into a PVR) is a reasonable price when it is released later this year.

CaptainVincent
07-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Hmm that is something you could put into a deal of consideration.

Thebananamonkey
07-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Assassins Creed is over-rated. The idea is amazing, but the gameplay is utter bollocks. Don't bother.

Deathwish
07-05-2008, 10:13 PM

Yeah, the NZ versions never played PS1 games that I'd heard of. I believe the 60gb model did play NTSC PS2 games (it used some form of software emulation) and I think some PAL games but not many. The ones they are making/selling now do not feature any backwards compatibility at all.

Blu-ray media (PS3 Games and BD Movies) are not zoned, the PS3 is still zoned to region 4 for DVD's.

For me, I honestly don't play that much games anymore, I pop out the console (Xbox, not Xbox 360 :P) when friends/family come over and it collects dust otherwise - partly because you can't get games for it anymore. I find that Wii seems the console when it comes to party stuff. I mean DOA/Halo are great but theres no beating the Mario games :) Theres also all those sports things that look so interesting. Only problem is that to plug in nun chucks and stuff you have to buy another remote to plug those things into which I thought was a weird idea. So yeah, if I had to buy one of them 3, I'd end up with a Wii. Cheaper console + cheaper games + the nature of their exclusive games seems to be fully 'fun' oriented rather than to showcase its graphics capabilities or anything like that.

CaptainVincent
07-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah, the NZ versions never played PS1 games that I'd heard of. I believe the 60gb model did play NTSC PS2 games (it used some form of software emulation) and I think some PAL games but not many. The ones they are making/selling now do not feature any backwards compatibility at all.

Blu-ray media (PS3 Games and BD Movies) are not zoned, the PS3 is still zoned to region 4 for DVD's.

For me, I honestly don't play that much games anymore, I pop out the console (Xbox, not Xbox 360 :P) when friends/family come over and it collects dust otherwise - partly because you can't get games for it anymore. I find that Wii seems the console when it comes to party stuff. I mean DOA/Halo are great but theres no beating the Mario games :) Theres also all those sports things that look so interesting. Only problem is that to plug in nun chucks and stuff you have to buy another remote to plug those things into which I thought was a weird idea. So yeah, if I had to buy one of them 3, I'd end up with a Wii. Cheaper console + cheaper games + the nature of their exclusive games seems to be fully 'fun' oriented rather than to showcase its graphics capabilities or anything like that.

The 60GB PS3 contained the original Emotion Engine from the PS2. It essentially had a PS2 inside of it.

I'm pretty sure the 60GB version can also play PS1 games? correct me if I'm wrong but I think via software update it can.

the 80GB PS3 uses software emulation. Resulting in buggier backward compatibility.

CaptainVincent
07-05-2008, 10:39 PM
40GB contains no backwards compatbility.

So PS3 is kinda 'downgrading' to compete really.

ubergeek85
08-05-2008, 09:26 AM
40GB contains no backwards compatbility.

So PS3 is kinda 'downgrading' to compete really.

WRONG! The 40Gb just uses software emulation. The reason it's so bad is because the PS2 is so hard to emulate (the PS1... not so much). The original 60Gb had the Emotion Engine on the motherboard (in the late PS2 models the EE and GS were on the same chip, so only one chip to put onto the PS3 motherboard). I'm not sure about the PS1, but I don't think it had hardware for it (the 60Gb or the 40Gb), but it's just basically a MIPS R3000A CPU running at 33MHz, so not too hard to do in software (PCs have been doing it for a while).

CaptainVincent
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
WRONG! The 40Gb just uses software emulation. The reason it's so bad is because the PS2 is so hard to emulate (the PS1... not so much). The original 60Gb had the Emotion Engine on the motherboard (in the late PS2 models the EE and GS were on the same chip, so only one chip to put onto the PS3 motherboard). I'm not sure about the PS1, but I don't think it had hardware for it (the 60Gb or the 40Gb), but it's just basically a MIPS R3000A CPU running at 33MHz, so not too hard to do in software (PCs have been doing it for a while).

What do you mean wrong? The PS3 40GB can't play PS2 games.

80GB Software Emulation
60GB Emotion Engine
40GB Has No Emulation At All
20GB Has Emotion Engine

40GB and 80GB have no emotions haha.

ubergeek85
09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Well I'll be damned (wikipedia backs you up)...:blush: oops...

pcuser42
09-05-2008, 03:52 PM
PC rules them all. :D

But if I had to choose, it would be the Xbox 360, it can talk to your PC for media as well as play games.

Greven
10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
PC rules them all. :D

But if I had to choose, it would be the Xbox 360, it can talk to your PC for media as well as play games.

So can the PS3. In fact, the PS3 wins out in every way except price & controllers.

Deathwish
10-05-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah, when it comes to media, the ps3 really shines. you've got the "winning hd format" support, out of the box with the latest blu-ray profile loaded + connectivity to the PC/some other USB devices + self upgradeable sata hdd - doing so does not void the warranty.

but... xbox 360 has a ~$460 version which is close enough to half the price of the ps3, so if you just care about games then there is certainly no question (unless you are looking at particular exclusive titles).

vitalstatistix
10-05-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't own any of the 3 devices but if I was to pick a "winner" it would be the Wii

Why?
Its simple and fun to use,
appeals to a wide market of new users
there are a lot more games coming on line as well as new versions of the Wii hardware.
The Wii continues to sell in high volumes at full markup while the other two devices don't so their profit margins take a bigger hit.

CaptainVincent
13-05-2008, 04:35 PM
yeah, when it comes to media, the ps3 really shines. you've got the "winning hd format" support, out of the box with the latest blu-ray profile loaded + connectivity to the PC/some other USB devices + self upgradeable sata hdd - doing so does not void the warranty.

but... xbox 360 has a ~$460 version which is close enough to half the price of the ps3, so if you just care about games then there is certainly no question (unless you are looking at particular exclusive titles).

Good point, But the $450 arcade console has no hard drive, no online compatibility because of this and I'm pretty sure it only comes with component cables and wired controls instead of wireless =\. It really cuts off the fun unless you plan to 'upgrade' (pay ridiculous amounts later).