PDA

View Full Version : WD Raptor drives

nofam
06-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Does anyone use these drives? I'm considering getting one for my OS, and was wondering whether they actually make that much difference to boot times.

Personally I'm dubious. . . . .:confused:

DeSade
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
What does a few seconds matter anyway?

mejobloggs
06-05-2008, 05:49 PM
If you're going to get one, get the new Velociraptors

Good review here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/HDD-SATA-VelociRaptor,1914.html

SPARTAN 860
06-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Yes they do make a big difference in boot time if you have a bad HDD, but if you already have a good one, you won't see too much of a speed increase.

The_End_Of_Reality
06-05-2008, 08:35 PM
From what I have seen of large capacity new HDDs (500GB and up) is they are very fast, my 500GB Seagate 32MB Cache can CONSTANTLY transfer at ~70MB/s such as booting virtual PCs it is very fast, sure the access time is not as fast as a Raptor, but the transfer rate is right up there and often past a Raptor. I was considering a Raptor as my OS drive and then thought what a waste of money as they are really small compared to the drives you can get for the same price... Heck going by Pricespy, you can get a 1TB Seagate for a few $ more than a 150GB Raptor... I know what I would get!

You can never have too much space.

:2cents:

JJJJJ
07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Yes they do make a big difference in boot time if you have a bad HDD, but if you already have a good one, you won't see too much of a speed increase.

What do you mean by "a big difference in boot time"?

I have two Baracuda disks and boot time is 45 seconds. How much faster can a Raptor be?

Bantu
07-05-2008, 09:22 AM
You would not see any noticeable difference in boot times between any hard drive, a lot will depend on what you have installed and how many drivers etc it has to load.

Unless you have extremely sofisticated timing equipment getting the different times between two exact machines with the same OS, same software/hardware and compare a Raptor vs maybe an old ATA 66 drive you might see a few milliseconds difference, but not enough to go make a coffee while booting up.