PDA

View Full Version : Tempary MoBo "disable"

freddy73
02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi
may seem like an odd question but is there a way that i can tempararily make my old mobo not work as a friend is coming around and i told him that my mobo is not working(because he really wants it and will annoy me for life if i dont give/trade it to him) he is pretty smart when it comes to pcs so he will probably bring his parts to try it so i need it to tempararily not work, i do not mind chopping a capacitor or something as long as its fixable later. so basicly i need it to not work but be fixable later but if its turned on still not damage other parts.
thanks in advanced. yes i agree its odd:illogical

Alexhughes79
02-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Hi freddy73 i say you take the motherboard and chop one capacitor leg near the top of the capacitor so no one can see its broken and then re solder. :) By The way is a Asus M2AVM a good upgrade from the Asus a8n-vm?

Sweep
02-05-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi
may seem like an odd question but is there a way that i can tempararily make my old mobo not work as a friend is coming around and i told him that my mobo is not working(because he really wants it and will annoy me for life if i dont give/trade it to him) he is pretty smart when it comes to pcs so he will probably bring his parts to try it so i need it to tempararily not work, i do not mind chopping a capacitor or something as long as its fixable later. so basicly i need it to not work but be fixable later but if its turned on still not damage other parts.
thanks in advanced. yes i agree its odd:illogical

Welcome to pressF1

I have no idea why you just do not sell it to him for $32,000 if he wants it that badly.

Other than that you could flash the BIOS with a wrong one after making a copy of the BIOS you actually have then the motherboard will not work.
This will not involve chopping off bits of the motherboard.

Ensure you can re flash the BIOS before you take my advice.

qazwsxokmijn
02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
If he's really good with PCs, then he may do a BIOS reflash.

freddy73
02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Thank you sweep
what do i use to flash the bios? It sounds great im just not sure how
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2008, 07:33 AM
I dont think so.

Depending on what the mobo is, if you try and flash the BIOS with the wrong BIOS, it probably wont work.

It'll tell you the code or something dont match, and it wont let you flash it

And if its an ASUS mobo, and it supports crashfree BIOS, then it'll be easier to fix it, if you do manage to flash it with the wrong BIOS.

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
what do i use to flash the bios? It sounds great im just not sure how
thanks

I wouldnt try it then, if you dont know how to.

And if its not something like an ASUS mobo which supports Crashfree BIOS, (or maybe a Gigabyte), if you flash it (with the wrong BIOS update), and it succeeds, its dead.

You wont be able to fix it, unless you buy another BIOS chip. Or another motherboard.

pctek
03-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi
a friend is coming around and i told him that my mobo is not working(because he really wants it and will annoy me for life if i dont give/trade it to him)

Sell it. You said its an old one, make some ridiculous profit on it.

freddy73
03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi its an ASUS with crashfree BIOS so i think its still probably a good idea, do you know if i backup my bios if i can corrupt it then restore it later?
thanks

freddy73
03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi freddy73 i say you take the motherboard and chop one capacitor leg near the top of the capacitor so no one can see its broken and then re solder. :) By The way is a Asus M2AVM a good upgrade from the Asus a8n-vm?

You Have the same MoBo as me!! the A8N-VM

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Read the info (in the BIOS update you download), on the ASUS site.

The file that you flash the BIOS will tell u the right commands to use.

It may or may not let you back it up, before you flash it

You better have a floppy, or a cd with the BIOS update in the main directory, if you do screw it up.

wainuitech
03-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Not wanting to state the obvious to much , but now you are going to HAVE to disable it, or damage it some how because of what was said
i told him that my mobo is not working IF it does work then your mate will know it was all lies, Cant really sell it in a working condition.

Quite simple - if you dont want to sell it - dont, after all it is your board - or if you feel like telling even more lies, tell him you already threw it out since it was knackered - but that could simply be getting in more sh*t than before. :D
If he is as good with PC's as you said - and even after cutting a capacitor leg, or trying to mis - flash a BIOS IF he got hold of it he would soon see the problem (s) and know it was done deliberately.

Regarding the BIOS Mis Flash - From Asus
ASUS CrashFree BIOS2
CrashFree BIOS2 now includes the BIOS auto-recovery function in a support CD. Users can reboot their systems through the support CD when a bootable disk is not available, and go through the simple BIOS auto-recovery process.

Old story Here - Tell lies and get caught sooner or later - tisk tisk.

freddy73
03-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Not wanting to state the obvious to much , but now you are going to HAVE to disable it, or damage it some how because of what was said IF it does work then your mate will know it was all lies, Cant really sell it in a working condition.

Quite simple - if you dont want to sell it - dont, after all it is your board - or if you feel like telling even more lies, tell him you already threw it out since it was knackered - but that could simply be getting in more sh*t than before. :D
If he is as good with PC's as you said - and even after cutting a capacitor leg, or trying to mis - flash a BIOS IF he got hold of it he would soon see the problem (s) and know it was done deliberately.

Regarding the BIOS Mis Flash - From Asus

Old story Here - Tell lies and get caught sooner or later - tisk tisk.

yea its my board but he is kinda 1 of those people that wont sleep until its his or broken, and if i ask an expensive price for it then he will fone me every 5 seconds suggesting a new price:annoyed:
so flashing the bios still sounds like the best idea but if anyone has different ideas then that would be good too
thanks

Speedy Gonzales
03-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Hide it, take to someone's else place, burn it, run it over with a truck,

Either sell it or give it to the guy.

jwil1
03-05-2008, 05:30 PM
...burn it...

:lol:

Sell it ... make some ridiculous profit on it.

Best idea so far I think :2cents:

Rod J
04-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Don't trust ASUS CrashFree BIOS! I tried to update the BIOS on my P5B-VM board and it crashed while doing so (stupidly I trusted the ASUS supplied Windows update utility to do this, and WinXP blue screened about half way through the update :( ). I was left with a board that was utterly dead. Thankfully it was replaced under warranty.

apsattv
04-05-2008, 03:53 AM
What a pointless thread!

Doesn't sound like much of a friend either!

Speedy Gonzales
04-05-2008, 08:27 AM
Don't trust ASUS CrashFree BIOS! I tried to update the BIOS on my P5B-VM board and it crashed while doing so (stupidly I trusted the ASUS supplied Windows update utility to do this, and WinXP blue screened about half way through the update :( ). I was left with a board that was utterly dead. Thankfully it was replaced under warranty.

Never update the BIOS in Windows, thats what can happen, or it can freeze, and if u reboot, its dead.

If you had re-downloaded the BIOS and burned it to a cd (to the main folder), and chucked it in, it probably would have reflashed the BIOS.

Thats how Crashfree BIOS works.

Rod J
04-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Never update the BIOS in Windows, thats what can happen, or it can freeze, and if u reboot, its dead.

Agreed ... in hindsight I should have known better :crying. However, I tried to retrieve the situation by using the original CD that came with the board (which has a copy of the original BIOS, which according to the motherboard manual CrashFree can use) and also by using a USB stick with the BIOS file in the root folder, but nothing worked. Also, the shop tried to fix it using similar attempts that are supposed to work via the CrashFree system and they couldn't fix it either. So, I just wanted to urge caution relying on the CrashFree BIOS :badpc:

Agent_24
05-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Just tell him he can't have it. It's not the law you have to give him your motherboard if you don't want to.

motorbyclist
05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
"oh w00t, i got it working - but my mother died so i won't be home so don't come over"

only trouble is that last part might get you in more trouble down the line unless he'll believe "w00t my mum came back to life" - and watch out he doesn't come zombie hunting!

so maybe just tell him to keep the f*** away from your PC, or do something sneaky like unplugging the power switch at the switch, swapping jumpers around in a safe config that stops it working, or completely dismantle it and get him to spend all his time reassembling it for you so he can "fix" it but won't have time for his own components!:D

or just tell him to keep the f*** away from your PC